1 2 3 Previous Next 31 Replies Latest reply on Apr 23, 2017 10:03 AM by codecruncher

Invalid symlink in Runtime bundle

jml

I have been codesigning my Runtime for some years now.  The Terminal codesigning worked well up to and including OS X 10.10.5.

Under OS X 10.11.1, the codesigning is rejected ("obsolete resource envelope") and GateKeep will not open my Runtime.  I searched the internet and came across this site describing a similar error, diagnosis, and probable cause: http://furbo.org/2015/07/23/code-signing-in-el-capitan/

When I checked my runtime, I found this:

codesign --verbose=4 --deep --strict MyRuntime.app

MyRuntime.app: invalid destination for symbolic link in bundle

In subcomponent: /Users/MyUser/Desktop/MyRuntime.app/Contents/Frameworks/DBEngine.framework

file modified: /Users/MyUser/Desktop/MyRuntime.app/Contents/Frameworks/DBEngine.framework/Versions/Current/A

The other Frameworks in the bundle validated correctly.

Regards,

Jon

• 1. Re: Invalid symlink in Runtime bundle
          TSGal

jml:

Thank you for your post.

I have sent your post to our Development and Testing departments for review.  When I receive any feedback, I will let you know.

TSGal

FileMaker, Inc.

• 2. Re: Invalid symlink in Runtime bundle
            TSGal

jml:

Testing has forwarded your information as a Feature Request to add proper symlinks when a Runtime Solution is created.  The reason being this is a Feature Request is because the Tester was able to codesign a RunTime application with Xcode under both Mac OS X 10.11.1 and Mac OS X 10.10.4.  The Tester posted his steps:

1. Install Xcode (Xcode 6.0.1 on 10.10.4 and Xcode 7.1 on 10.11.1, Command Line Tools is not necessary)

2. Launch Xcode and open Preferences - Accounts tab

3. Sign in with your Apple ID

4. Click on View Details...

5. Create a new Mac Development Signing Identities

* Now you have a valid certificate in Keychain Access

** Customer may have other certificates but this shouldn’t matter

6. Open Keychain Access

7. Click on Certificates from Category

8. Double click the Certification (Should look like “Mac Developer: YourName (XXXXXXXXXX)”)

9. Copy the Common Name (Should look like “Mac Developer: YourName (XXXXXXXXXX)”)

10. Launch FileMaker and create a Runtime solution

11. Right click on the Runtime Solution and choose Show Package Contents

12. Go to /Contents/Frameworks/

13. Open Terminal and enter the following commands suggested by Apple Developer Technical Support

$ cd DBEngine.framework/Versions

$ ln -s A Current

$ cd ..

$ ln -s Versions/Current/DBEngine DBEngine

$ ln -s Versions/Current/Resources Resources

14. Repeat with all the other frameworks

15. In Terminal, codesign the Runtime Solution with the following command:

$ codesign --deep --force --sign “Common Name of your certificate copied in Step 9” path to the Runtime Solution.app

* There should be no errors

** To verify the codesign, type the following command in Terminal

$ codesign -vv path to the Runtime Solution.app

-----

TSGal

FileMaker, Inc.

• 3. Re: Invalid symlink in Runtime bundle
              jml

Thank you, TSGal,

I suspect the problem still exists.  Please ask the Tester to use the following  in step 15 instead of codesign -vv:

spctl —assess -vvv path to the runtime solution.app

This is the only way—I’m told by Apple Inc.—to verify the signature completely for the GateKeeper.

I will try signing in Xcode to confirm tomorrow on 10.11.1 and Xcode 7.1

Jon

• 4. Re: Invalid symlink in Runtime bundle
                jml

TSGal,

In short, the steps given above don't work.  Please move this thread back to the Product Issues.

I followed the tester's steps to the letter.  I then uploaded the signed runtime.app to the internet and downloaded back to my computer.  When I tried to open it, GateKeeper rejected it.

GateKeeper.tiff

Here is the verification in Terminal using both codesign -vv and spctl --assess.  See the difference?

…$ codesign -vv onDeck.app

onDeck.app: valid on disk

onDeck.app: satisfies its Designated Requirement

…$ spctl --assess -vvv onDeck.app

onDeck.app: rejected

origin=Mac Developer: my name (XXXXXXXXXX)

$

• 5. Re: Invalid symlink in Runtime bundle
                  TSGal

jml:

Thanks for the additional information.

The tester confirms the issue with the "spctl" command and they are reinvestigating.  I'll keep you updated.

TSGal

FileMaker, Inc.

• 6. Re: Invalid symlink in Runtime bundle
                    TSGal

jml:

Testing and Development are still investigating why a Runtime solution passes Codesign command but fails on spctl.  Since we announced that Runtime has been deprecated (FileMaker 14 deprecated and removed features | FileMaker), Development and Testing recommend codesigning your Runtime solution under Mac OS X 10.10.5.

TSGal

FileMaker, Inc.

• 7. Re: Invalid symlink in Runtime bundle
                      jml

Hi TSGal,

Before sweeping this under the deprecated rug , please consider this:

1. Runtimes built and codesigned under OS X 10.10.5 (Yosemite) cannot be opened normally in OS X 10.11.x.  The GateKeeper in El Capitan rejects them because "the identity of the developer can not be confirmed".  I reverified this morning with the latest updates.  (A captain once told me to never recommend a course that I haven't plotted. )

2.  The issue is not with codesigning nor with spctl nor GateKeeper per se.  The codesign failure is just a symptom.  The problem lies in the invalid destination for a symbolic link in the  Runtime's DBEngine framework.  This usually translates to outdated code that is accessing memory external to the application…and that is a perceived security risk.   This is why the new GateKeeper is rejecting it.   Why does the DBEngine framework in FMP Advanced validate when the DBEngine framework in Runtime does not?   (A lawyer once told me to never ask a question to which I didn't know the answer. )

Thanks for spending time on this issue.  I know you have better things to do.

Best regards,

Jon

• 8. Re: Invalid symlink in Runtime bundle
                        TSGal

jml:

I have forwarded your comments back to Development and Testing for review.

TSGal

FileMaker, Inc.

• 9. Re: Invalid symlink in Runtime bundle
                          TSGal

jml:

The information received back from Apple shows that the certificate does not look like a developer ID certificate, so Gatekeeper rejects it.  Can you confirm the developer ID certificate with Apple?

TSGal

FileMaker, Inc.

• 10. Re: Invalid symlink in Runtime bundle
                            jml

Hi TSGal,

It is a valid developer ID certificate.  It is valid till July 11, 2017.  t is the same one I use on OS X 10.9 where it still works.  I have even created new certificates using XCode as per your instructions.  They don’t work either.  Nor did your tester’s come to think of it.

Jon

• 11. Re: Invalid symlink in Runtime bundle
                              jml

Hi TSGal,

I received an email from CgSoftware concerning this issue:

I've found where the problem is

Each info.plist in the runtime.app content folder have this string that wasn't present in version 13

<key>DTCompiler</key>

<string>com.apple.compilers.llvm.clang.1_0</string>

In version 13 it was

<key>DTCompiler</key>

<string></string>

Just remove « com.apple.compilers.llvm.clang.1_0 » in all info.plist (content and all framework)

I will try this today to confirm.

Would you mind commenting on the necessity or validity of having this string in the runtime.app content?

Thank you,

Jon

• 12. Re: Invalid symlink in Runtime bundle
                                TSGal

jml:

I am unable to comment.  I have sent this information back to Development for review.

TSGal

FileMaker, Inc.

• 13. Re: Invalid symlink in Runtime bundle
                                  jml

Thank you, TSGal!

This afternoon, Apple released OS X 10.11.3 Beta (15D13b).  It appears to have resolved this issue.   The runtime can now be signed as is with Christian Schmitz' codesign script.  The codesigned runtime is now accepted by GateKeeper when downloaded from the net.

I thank all of you who have spent time and thought on this.

Jon

• 14. Re: Invalid symlink in Runtime bundle
                                    acohensitt

I know this is an old post, but I have a similar problem.

I also have been codesigning FileMaker runtimes in version 13 for a couple of months now using Christian Schmitz' codesign script and it has been working great.

Now, that I am trying to use FileMaker 14, the process completes to the end but when I run the command:

spctl --assess -vvv "AppName.app"

Result is:

Updater.app: rejected (invalid destination for symbolic link in bundle)

I've checked the paths over and over again and the syntax. Anyone have any ideas what could be causing this error?

Thanks,

Aaton

1 2 3 Previous Next