Sorry for a silly question, but do you have a checkbox "Specify Import Order" checked in your script step?
The process I regularly use to save custom mapping is:
1) Make sure target table has all the fields I need
2) MANUALLY do a file > import and import the file, selecting the import order.
3) SCRIPT - in the same session (import settings are remembered only for the session), go to a script, add my import records script step. Check the "specify import order" checkbox, *** Here is where you should see the order just set by your manual import. Save the script. uncheck the "perform without dialog" option for testing.
4) restart filemaker and test import to see if the order was retained.
5) check the 'perform without dialog) checkbox if necessary.
Yes I do Nicolai. Not offended by the question :-)
Well that certainly works Mike, but what a clunky clumsy process it is. I made it clumsier by thinking you have to copy the sequence out somewhere manually and then make sure you have everything in the right place in the script dialogue without the guidance of the source file???? That would be a pain if it was a large file with many fields. Luckily I eventually put my brain in gear, checked "Specify Data Source", set up the mapping, then unchecked it again.
So, many thanks for the assistance.