6 Replies Latest reply on Nov 10, 2015 11:40 AM by TSGal

Filemaker Crash - Unhandled .NET Framework Exception

stitchenal

Product and version (FileMaker Pro 14.0.3)

OS and version Windows 7 64bit

Description: Switching between Script Workspace and Database window

How to replicate

Workaround Forced restart of Filemaker - no other options

Error: Unhandled Microsoft.NET Framework exception occured in Filemaker Pro Advanced.exe [18384]

• 1. Re: Filemaker Crash - Unhandled .NET Framework Exception
          TSGal

stitchenal:

Thank you for your post.

I have not encountered this error when switching from Script Workspace to a database window, and this issue has not been previously reported.  Is this the only time this has occurred?  If so, did you have any additional script windows open?  Was the database window in Browse mode, Layout mode, Preview mode?

If this error has happened more than once, does this occur for a specific database file or all database files?  What other applications do you have open at the time of the error?

Any other information you can provide may be helpful in determining the cause.

TSGal

FileMaker, Inc.

• 2. Re: Filemaker Crash - Unhandled .NET Framework Exception
            stitchenal

I have a multi database solution I am working on and commonly have 2 or 3 database windows open and 2 script windows open. The Windows computer crashes approximately every other day. This is the first time I have recorded the error exception number. I don’t remember what mode the database windows were in. I’ll try to determine that the next time Filemaker crashes. Since some windows are behind others, it may not always be possible to determine the state of a back window after a crash.

Because of the serious issue with scripts either disappearing or dropping to the bottom of the list on the Windows side, I picked up an older Mac computer and I am also working on that computer at the same time. The Mac Filemaker app also has crashed, but not at the same time as the Windows computer.  I am not sure where to get additional information on Mac errors, but if you tell me where to look I can find a log.

The new script interface in Filemaker 14, is a huge improvement but the bugs and crashes make working with 14 very frustrating and if not fixed, will keep me from recommending Filemaker 14 to clients that are not already using it – especially if the solution is not multiuser and using a server.

• 3. Re: Filemaker Crash - Unhandled .NET Framework Exception
              TSGal

stitchenal:

Thank you for the additional information.  There still isn't enough to determine what is causing the crash.  Do you get other error messages or different error numbers?  If you don't recall, that is fine.

When you crash on a Mac, a crash report will appear.  Copy the contents to the clipboard, and paste it into a post.  The entire crash report may not paste, but the relevant parts are the header (up to the first thread - Thread 0) and the complete crashed thread (it should list which thread has crashed in the header).

TSGal

FileMaker, Inc.

• 4. Re: Filemaker Crash - Unhandled .NET Framework Exception
                stitchenal

Windows 7 64bit Filemaker 14.3  Working for about 2 hours. 2 databases open in browse mode. 2 Script Windows open. I believe I was switching between a windows text editor and the filemaker app when this occurred, but I don’t remember for sure.  Could have clicked on the script window to bring the app to the front and then clicked on the database window.

Unhandled Microsoft.NET Framework exception 24820

• 5. Re: Filemaker Crash - Unhandled .NET Framework Exception
                  TSGal

stitchenal:

Thank you for the screen shot.

Stripping down to some basics, do you have any plug-ins installed and enabled?

Since the crash also occurs under Mac OS X, it may be a file issue.  Do you ever get the same crash using other database files?

I have sent your screen shot and posts to our Development and Testing departments for guidance.  When I receive any feedback, I will let you know.

TSGal

FileMaker, Inc.

• 6. Re: Filemaker Crash - Unhandled .NET Framework Exception
                    TSGal

stitchenal:

Testing is unable to replicate the issue and has asked if this occurs with any file or just a specific file?  Testing has also requested a copy of your database file for testing purposes.  The Community private messaging system is currently not functioning, so instructions for where to send your file has been forwarded to our Technical Support liaison.  You should receive those instructions within the hour.

TSGal

FileMaker, Inc.