11 Replies Latest reply on Feb 15, 2016 7:17 AM by lijnbach

Email without dialog blocked by Outlook

keithstehlik

I am using Filemaker 14 and Outlook 2013. I have all the filemaker updates.

When I try to send an email with Perform without dialog on, Outlook is throwing up a warning everytime asking to deny and if I allow it isn't placing the correct copy in the email..

It works fine if I have that setting off, My email opens in Outlook, all the info is correct and I can send it.

Is there away around this?

• 1. Re: Email without dialog blocked by Outlook
          user19752

It is security setting in Outlook. Check it and your virus protection.

• 2. Re: Email without dialog blocked by Outlook
            lijnbach

I have the same problem,

All my security is brought down to zero, still getting the dialog that asks permission to send the mail.

I even have developper permission in Outlook.

Nothing helps.

Do you have a solution already?

Thanks in advance,

Hans Lijnbach

• 3. Re: Email without dialog blocked by Outlook
              user19752

The warning dialog show selection "deny" "allow" "help", so you can read "help" there. (Sorry I read it only in Japanese in my system, so can't copy the help contents)

You have 2 options to resolve,

"keep virus protection up to date"

"change setting in security center"

2nd is not able in some Active Directory environment, and not preferred.

• 4. Re: Email without dialog blocked by Outlook
                lijnbach

Thanks for your reply,

Yes I have been reading the help, but that did not work.

The virus software is up to date, (latest version of Bitdefender) and the security is brought down to zero.

I even activated "developer access" in Outlook.

So, the virus software is up to date and there is no security and it still isn't working, and moving around in Active directory is far from preferred.

I realize that it is a "microsoft issue" and not a FM issue, but I am unable to solve this issue.

Hans Lijnbach

• 5. Re: Email without dialog blocked by Outlook
                  okramis

It best works, if you have the Outlook and FileMaker account AD-integrated single sign on. Then, with up to date virus protection, you don't get those security prompts.

Otmar

• 6. Re: Email without dialog blocked by Outlook
                    lijnbach

Thanks for your reply Otmar,

I need to figure this out, because my testing machine (Windows) is a stand alone system, not integrated in a network.

Thursday I will have a look at this issue. (I am traveling until tomorrow night).

Hans Lijnbach

• 7. Re: Email without dialog blocked by Outlook
                      user19752

Here is document for registry.

Overview of security and protection settings for Outlook 2013

It seems need to restart the pc after editing registry.

• 8. Re: Email without dialog blocked by Outlook
                        lijnbach

Unfortunately this didn't help,

The Microsoft TechNet gives solutions for network systems, not for stand alone systems. I followed all the instructions provided, also the TechNet recommendations, nothing helps.

I think it can perhaps be solved in the registry, but I don't want to mess around in the registry.

Hans Lijnbach

• 9. Re: Email without dialog blocked by Outlook
                          user19752

Unfortunately, there may be only 2 way,

1) Make Outlook to think "the PC is secure enough"

(I don't know about bitdefender, but it seems you need another one, or you misunderstood that you need "best security" to fix it, not "zero security")

2) Change registry to Outlook not mind about security

Here is another document to edit registry

http://www.slipstick.com/developer/change-programmatic-access-options/

I didn't test it (edit only 2 entries) fix the problem, FM use MAPI so I made some more changes before reboot the PC and saw fixed.

• 10. Re: Email without dialog blocked by Outlook
                            lijnbach

Thanks for your help again,

Your explanation was very clear and helpful. And I did it right. Only the security settings in Windows and Outlook was brought down to zero. (Not the virus software). I even already have programmatic access in Outlook. And the virus software is up to date. Other virus software did not help. I also have an online McAfee license. So I shut down Bitdefender and activated McAfee. Same problem.

So, the virus software is up to date (I left McAfee on the system for now) and I already have programmatic acces in Outlook.

Still the same problem.

So, I will start working on the registry, seems the only possibility left.

And I know I can create a work around by using SMTP instead of the mail client in FMPA, but that has great disadvantages. One of the things is that the user can't controle if all the mail correctly is send to the right people. Another problem is that if a mail address is not valid anymore, the mail doesn't bounce back with a warning that the mail address is incorrect. And including the sender in the CC doesn't help either. The user will only see mail with his own name. (And if you have to send a mail to 800 people - with an attachment - there are always a few incorrect mail addresses).

So, like I mentioned, I will start working on the registry.

I will let you know the result.

Thanks again,

Hans Lijnbach

• 11. Re: Email without dialog blocked by Outlook
                              lijnbach

So, programmatic access in Outlook 2016 did not work.

I changed the registry and it worked. (Only in combination with programmatic access)

But not completely happy.

I will work further on with the changed registry, but it also means I lose a part of the security, but it is the only way to get it working.

Thanks for your help.

Hans Lijnbach