2 Replies Latest reply on Oct 29, 2015 8:33 AM by Stu412

User defined sort order with numbers

Stu412

Hi there

I have a scenario where it is required that the end user set the sort order for a list of data in a report.  To achieve this so far, I've built a field into which the user can enter numbers with 1 being the first through to 10 or whatever might be required.  This happens via a portal and the report itself is a sub summary report based on the user defined sort order.

My question is this:  How can I get FM to put blanks after my pre-defined sort fields, not before??

Not every row of data needs to be sorted - only the important stuff so as to bring it to the top of the list on the sub summary report.  For example, there may be 10 lines, but the user only wants to bring 3 to the top, so enters 1, 2, 3 via the portal to do so in their preferred order or importance. 

The issue I have is that the rows which do not have a numeric entry next to them appear BEFORE those with a numeric entry.  I can't reverse the sort order to put the blanks to the bottom because this means that the desired important rows now actually read 3,2,1 down the page.

The user shouldn't have to enter sort order numbers into the fields which are less meaningful.

How can I get FM to put blanks after my pre-defined sort fields, not before??