3 Replies Latest reply on Oct 29, 2015 10:01 AM by BruceRobertson

Global Field help

marysays

Hello! Could someone point me to a straightforward explanation about global fields? The official links I've found seem a bit incomplete, while most of the blogs and message board posts I've found are too specific.

Here is what I'm trying to accomplish. I'd like a text field, available to all records in my table, that can be periodically updated but for the most part doesn't change. This is used in a text calculation for messages to customers, where the information (such as store hours, standard wait times, etc) might be updated every few months. Rather than hard code changes into the text calc field, I thought a "global" field that a user could edit when circumstances change made sense.

However, I have learned the hard way that global fields do not behave like regular fields, where the value is the same for all records and for all users. So, is there a different FM feature that works this way? So far the best solution I can come up with is to create a table with only one record, put my "global" field there but it would just be a regular text field, and create a cartesian relationship to my larger table. Does that seem right? Is there a simpler option?

The text field needs to be available (and have the same value!) to all users, including remote users, and it needs to not reset every time you close the program.

Thanks in advance!

Mary