2 Replies Latest reply on Oct 30, 2015 9:27 AM by greengk2fi

Content Management M4B

greengk2fi

I wanted to build something to catalogue my audiobooks. I opened the starter solution for content management. If I drop an m4a into the content manager db, it pulls title, author, etc. straight from the file and displays a thumbnail of the cover. It doesn't do that for m4b. I'm not sure why; but think if I could just get it to identify m4b appropriatley, that I could use the starter solution with very little modification. Any ideas on how to get it to recognize m4b?

Thanks,

Greg

• 1. Re: Content Management M4B
          steveromig

I wanted to build something to catalogue my audiobooks. I opened the starter solution for content management. If I drop an m4a into the content manager db, it pulls title, author, etc. straight from the file and displays a thumbnail of the cover. It doesn't do that for m4b. I'm not sure why; but think if I could just get it to identify m4b appropriatley, that I could use the starter solution with very little modification. Any ideas on how to get it to recognize m4b?

Thanks,

Greg

I don't know too much about the m4b file format but these are the file formats that are supported in container fields in FileMaker Pro...

https://www.filemaker.com/help/14/fmp/en/html/add_view_data.4.34.html

So unless someone else has a creative workaround, this might be a case where a container field may not know how to deal with an audiobooks file.

Steve Romig

FileMaker, Inc.

• 2. Re: Content Management M4B
            greengk2fi

Thanks for the quick reply. The m4b files have nearly the same metadata structure as the m4a and the underlying encode structure is the same (mpeg 4). The metadata simply includes additional fields like narrator and ability to bookmark. I think the cover may also be coded as a thumbnail rather than a cover. Anyway, it seems like this format be a simple addition to the FM container.

Just to see how similar the metadata structure was, I copied an m4b file and changed the extension to m4a. Title, duration, etc. all came through just fine. The cover did not. It was even playable in content manager db. However, changing the extension does corrupt the file and it becomes unstable and bookmarks etc. go away.

The m4b format, like m4a is universal and I think it would round out the offerings for container fields. So while I'm hoping for a workaround, I also think it would be a good addition to FMpro's functionality.