7 Replies Latest reply on Oct 31, 2015 1:22 PM by Mike_Mitchell

Navigating to and from a list view, suggestions?

ryanmead83

I have a CRM system in FileMaker but was wondering how most people handle this.  When I go to my Opportunity list view, it lists all opportunities I have.  Clicking one takes me to that record.  The problem is that unlike in Salesforce or whatever, you can't just press back and go back to where you were if you go into an opportunity, make a change and want to go back to that layout.  You have to navigate through the menus to get there and what not.  I've tried having it open opps in a new window but it's not efficient since it's not obvious you have a new window open and usually end up keeping both open.  Navigating back is just a pain because you have different views and filters like My Opportunities, Team Opportunities etc so can't just have a button on all Opportunity layouts to go back there since there's 4 different places they could have come from.  Other than using Popups which for some reason just full on no longer work for us anymore, what do most people do?  Hoping for some advice as we're finding we seldom use the list view because of this issue.  Thanks!

• 1. Re: Navigating to and from a list view, suggestions?
          siplus

There is no universal way to handle user navigation. Allowing jumping from anywhere to everywhere usually implies lots of added clutter from buttons nobody ever uses.

Navigation should be decided on a solid basis, like a ranger that opens an unexplored part of a forest and comes back 6 months later to see the paths that wanderers left on their own, imposed upon the ground.

In your case, however, there is a consistency flaw, because if

The problem is that unlike in Salesforce or whatever, you can't just press back and go back to where you were if you go into an opportunity, make a change and want to go back to that layout.

then something's wrong and needs to be brought to the same level.

• 2. Re: Navigating to and from a list view, suggestions?
            flukey

One option you could use is to set an OnLayoutExit script trigger on the originating layout.  In the script, set a global field or variable to the name of the layout you are leaving.  Once you are finished whatever you are doing on the target layout, have a button that does a GoToLayout (by calculation) and pass it the layout name stored in the global.

• 3. Re: Navigating to and from a list view, suggestions?
              ryanmead83

Thanks that's what I was actually thinking of doing but wanted to see if there was something easier or what not.  That should probably work fine then.  I was more concerned by the layout names because sometimes we change them.  Like Accounts is the main Accounts layout, but if I want to make it new or revamped I change it to like Accounts 15 or whatever to know that it's a new one, so that's where I thought this could get ugly if we ever change a name.

• 4. Re: Navigating to and from a list view, suggestions?
                Mike_Mitchell

ryanmead83 wrote:

Other than using Popups which for some reason just full on no longer work for us anymore...

Why not? What behavior do you need that popovers can't / don't provide?

• 5. Re: Navigating to and from a list view, suggestions?
                  flukey

The method I mentioned should work fine since everything is being done at runtime, not design time. 

Trying to hard code layout names at design time presents another set of issues if you are going to rename layouts.  There are some techniques to handle this.  You should be able to search the forum here to get multiple answers on how to handle this.

• 6. Re: Navigating to and from a list view, suggestions?
                    ryanmead83

I'm honestly not sure.  I had them used several times no issues.  We changed providers to a different hosted FM Server and few days later I noticed they wouldn't work.  You'd click one and nothing would happen, click in a white area and it would open however no buttons or fields could be clicked, almost like enable in browse mode was checked off but it wasn't.  Didn't matter what layout, even if I tried to make new ones they just don't work.  We have FM Server now ourselves on our own servers and they all do the exact same thing and for all users, including Web Direct users.  So no idea what happened but I removed them all just to be safe.

• 7. Re: Navigating to and from a list view, suggestions?
                      Mike_Mitchell

That sounds very strange. Any Script Triggers that might have been interfering? Did you run a Recover on this database and see if it turned up any errors?