AnsweredAssumed Answered

Importing data from ODBC source on Filemaker Server

Question asked by rebyerly on Oct 31, 2015
Latest reply on Nov 5, 2015 by rebyerly

Although I have a workaround to the problem I'm hoping someone has a better solution.

I am writing some scripts for my department which will run on Filemaker Server and which will (on a scheduled basis) import data from a company Oracle database into Filemaker tables.  (There are several reasons we can't go the ESS route on this.)  ODBC drivers are installed on the machine hosting FM server (both the 32 and 64 bit versions with the same name, as recommended somewhere) and they work.

The problem is developing the scripts. Since I don't normally have physical access to the machine hosting FM Server I do the development work on my desktop or laptop.  When I'm editing a database hosted on the server and try to write an import-data script step, the only ODBC sources that I'm offered are the ones configured on my desktop, not on the server.  (In contrast I can see the ODBC sources configured on the server when I go to "Manage external data sources".)

So far the only workaround I've found is to log into the server machine using a remote desktop connection and run a trial copy of FM Pro there in order to get the scripts written.  This is a nuisance and we really hadn't budgeted for an extra copy of FM Pro for the server machine.  Is there a better way?

Thanks!

Bob

Outcomes