13 Replies Latest reply on Nov 4, 2015 8:43 AM by Markus Schneider

Shall i update my Java version | FileMaker Server 12 Adv.

Suresh

Dear Admins, Experts & Friends,

I'm using FileMaker Server 12 Advanced on Windows Server 2008 R2.

Somedays before My Server has severe issue that Java blocks FileMaker Server process!

So some experts suggests me to resolve that use compatible version(Java 7 update 75) for FileMaker Server 12 Adv. Then it works fine!

Now while i access the admin console page, it suggests me to update Java version(see Image).

Java.JPG

Now should I update Java, will it compatible for Windows Server 2008 R2? Will i face any issue if I updated the Java version?

Help me !!

Thanks,

Suresh

• 1. Re: Shall i update my Java version | FileMaker Server 12 Adv.
          mikebeargie

Filemaker installs it's own version of Java, you should NOT install any updates of Java independent of filemaker server.

• 2. Re: Shall i update my Java version | FileMaker Server 12 Adv.
            taylorsharpe

And the Java that came with FM 12 is old and has a number of security vulnerabilities.  This is another good reason to keep current on FileMaker and consider upgrading.  It used to be running old software just meant you didn't have the latest features.  Now it means you running security risks too.  Is your data valuable or sensitive?  If so, it is time to upgrade to FMS 14 and take advantage of things like Encryption at Rest and make sure you have a 3rd party SSL certificate, etc. 

• 3. Re: Shall i update my Java version | FileMaker Server 12 Adv.
              Markus Schneider

I don't update Java - but I'm in a local network behind a firewall and the machine running FMS12 isn't accessible from outside nor goes sombody sufing on that..

concerning updating FMS/FM client, it's hard to give advise... while it's not bad under OSX, we have issues under Windows that cost too much time and causes troubles (scriptworkspace, moving scriptsteps). Security is one aspect... if you loose Your work, it's another (under Windows 8.1, the scriptworkspace-window will loose the position of the cursor under some circumstances - if one doesn't take care enough, one overwrites the wrong part of a script, happened quite a few times here)

• 4. Re: Shall i update my Java version | FileMaker Server 12 Adv.
                schamblee

FMS13 admin console will not run with java 8 it requires java 7, I assume that FMS12 will not run with newer version of java.   There are security risk in using older version of java, but you may have no choice unless you upgrade to FMS14.

• 5. Re: Shall i update my Java version | FileMaker Server 12 Adv.
                  taylorsharpe

Markus Schneider wrote:

....concerning updating FMS/FM client, it's hard to give advise... while it's not bad under OSX, we have issues under Windows that cost too much time and causes troubles (scriptworkspace, moving scriptsteps). Security is one aspect... if you loose Your work, it's another (under Windows 8.1, the scriptworkspace-window will loose the position of the cursor under some circumstances - if one doesn't take care enough, one overwrites the wrong part of a script, happened quite a few times here)

The minor script step moving bug seems to have been fixed in FMP 14.0v3.  But balancing a minor inconvenience of a bug with security really isn't what I would call the same level of concern.  The new FM 14 script work space has made all of my development team more efficient.  You said issues, plural, but only mentioned the moving script step bug.  So maybe there is something else.  In general, I have not been hearing any gripes by Windows developers that keeps them from upgrading to 14.  You are the first person I have heard who will not upgrade to 14 because of the script step moving bug that I think is now fixed.  Maybe some other Windows users will speak up on their experiences. 

• 6. Re: Shall i update my Java version | FileMaker Server 12 Adv.
                    Mike Duncan

I have had clients update java and then call when they can't connect, not with the specific version you cite, but I was able to get it to work by adding in exceptions in order to get the admin console back up.

If this is a production server, you could always test in a virtual environment first, with as many of the same variables as your server. At least that should let you know if this version of Java is an issue or not.

Mike

• 7. Re: Shall i update my Java version | FileMaker Server 12 Adv.
                      gdurniak

This is the question, that just won't go away

Could someone from FileMaker please help here ?

Some of the answers here are surprising,  e.g. FileMaker has it's OWN version of Java ?  Admin Console, which is not supposed to need Java,  will not work with Java 8 ?

It would help if FileMaker could re-explain it's problematic relation with Java, and how the current updaters might help

greg

> Now should I update Java ?

• 8. Re: Shall i update my Java version | FileMaker Server 12 Adv.
                        mikebeargie

There is an embedded Java installer that is always bundled with the filemaker installer (and update installers). This assures you that the correct version of Java that filemaker server requires is installed. FileMaker does not publish it's own version of Java.

Some of the technology behind the new web publishing engine still requires Java, and the new browser-based admin console is rendered in the same technology.

What you're thinking of is the old admin console which was a Java application, which was much more reliant on JRE (Java Runtime Environment), a different Java technology, and had a much higher problem rate then the current browser based admin console.

• 9. Re: Shall i update my Java version | FileMaker Server 12 Adv.
                          gdurniak

So then, the "new" Admin Console "kind of" needs Java, which gets us absolutely nowhere

Good Grief

greg

> Some of the technology behind the new web publishing engine still requires Java, and the new browser-based admin console is rendered in the same technology.

• 10. Re: Shall i update my Java version | FileMaker Server 12 Adv.
                            mikebeargie

No, it's not even remotely the same. A compiled java app that runs on your system is completely different than using a web technology that has some basis in Java. Completely different forms of Java.

I recall someone from FMI actually stating that was the biggest cause of confusion with the admin console switch.

• 11. Re: Shall i update my Java version | FileMaker Server 12 Adv.
                              taylorsharpe

It would have helped if the app run time engine had a different name to keep this confusion from happening.  But it doesn't and you just have to understand the JRE is different.  Lots of confusions, especially when the JRE kept getting updated and the updates would break the former FM Admin console that used JRE.  The current one is HTML5, which works much more reliably. 

• 12. Re: Shall i update my Java version | FileMaker Server 12 Adv.
                                Suresh

True schamblee,

Thanks for the concern

- Suresh

• 13. Re: Shall i update my Java version | FileMaker Server 12 Adv.
                                  Markus Schneider

I'm just at that customer's site where I have a windows 8.1 installation with FileMaker Pro Advanced 14.03

and I'm sorry to report that that issue with moving scriptlines still exists

when one has to work a lot with long scripts, one will overwrite/destroy the scripts, sooner or later. Under OSX, it's fine

there is an issue report for that, other users confirmed

the release notes for 14.03 tells nothing about fixing that