did you view the sample file I posted on the other post you started regarding this? I have this very same set up going.
The key might be to commit the records and/or refresh the window.
In my sample file, I see it updating after i run my script that creates the new records in the child table, the Vendor_Category table.
In your case you want to set a refresh-window script after you modify the dropdown.
Yes, thanks. The example from the YouTube video (Filemaker - Dwindling Value List - YouTube) barely uses any scripts at all. Yet, even following along with that video I am getting strange (different) results. Some of the categories don't show up in the list (one of them I added - but did a FM restart since I didn't explicitly do a commit - still doesn't show up) and, as before, I am able to keep adding the same value over and over.
Another issue: "Alan Cooper" is in the People table, but, as you can see below, is not in the list.
I think I'm following the video exactly.
I've also attached the FM file I created (it's not complete per the video, but also not doing what the video's example is doing at the same point in the video).
Do you see this issue?
I've been looking at this for hours.
people.fmp12.zip 68.2 K
Hi. He does use a script. He talks about it and another method starting about at 16:45. He has an onObjectModify script trigger that runs when the user selects a name from a dropdown.
The basic idea of this is that your relationship to the Non-Selected table needs to be refreshed.
And FYI. The current set up will be a problem when you start with a new record in your Jobs table. There's nothing in the dropdown list because in a new record there's nothing in that calculated field. I'd amend the calculated field to put in a zero if there's no valid records between your jobs table and the people_not_selected table.
See my attachment. I've added the script trigger script, the delete and refresh and the new calculated field. Try out a new record and you will start with a 0 in the calculated field.
people.fmp12.zip 70.1 K
Thanks a Million! It's all good.
In my case, it turned out to be that, for whatever reason, I wasn't getting the same results as Guy's tutorial at the same part of it. Had I continued working though it, I would have realized that refreshing fixes all.
The refreshing issue was my biggest, but not only, issue.
It would be so nice if there were just a way, in some future FM version of course, to refresh a list (or whatever might be there in that version) with a SQL statement ... but now that this is working, and it's a fair amount to set up, I'm glad I learned it.
Thanks again for all the help!