AnsweredAssumed Answered

Extreme Server wait times on Windows Server

Question asked by Paul Jansen on Nov 3, 2015
Latest reply on Aug 20, 2017 by alex.hellier

I already posted this in the community discussions but had no responses.

This is becoming a major issue for a 15 year client and FileMaker user which could result in their leaving the platform...

First here is the setup....

VMware virtual server 10GB RAM, 3 processors, 6 'cores'

Windows Server 2008 R2 Standard

FMS 13 single machine deployment

Typically 15 pro clients mostly LAN, but 1 or 2 WAN

0 to 15  xml WAN clients through WPE varies through the day. mostly very small text data incoming, but periodically uploading files in to externally stored containers (typically 10-100KB) using base64 encoding and html POST running a FileMaker script to decode and create the record.

Mostly wait times are very low or zero, but periodically, shoot up to several seconds and occasionally 20+ seconds.   There are times when we just get the occasional spike, but others when spiking occurs every few minutes.  These excessive wait times affect all FileMaker Pro users.

stats.png

Network, IO and CPU on server all normal with no corresponding spikes.   IT report no spikes on network.

I thought the slowdown might be related to the file uploads, but the vast majority of uploads complete with no change to wait times and the first of the spikes shown here does not correspond to file uploads.

My question....

How can I identify what is causing these excessive wait times and how can I fix the issue.

Thanks

Paul Jansen

Outcomes