1 Reply Latest reply on Nov 3, 2015 4:57 AM by mikebeargie

Server setup for locations with slow upload speed

HammerOz

HI all,

What is the best approach for setting up a solution for the following environment:

• main office with 5 desktop users. Internet test was 20 / .8 Mbps. The solution will have containers for photos and docs.
      • remote users with iphones and ipads offline using a sync framework.
      • later, potential heavy use of webdirect for thier customers portal . Maybe 50 concurrent.

I am thinking along the lines of the office fm pro clients being separation model with a cloud based fm server remote data source. I am considering    local container tables, but not sure here. The container media needs to get to server at some point so may as well be at the point of insert? As the download speed is ok, download of container thumbnails shouldnt be too bad if accessed as a remote source on the office pro clients.

I could have the server in the office and that would be great for local speed, but no good for remote access and webdirect users due to the slow upload internet speed on site.

Would an office server and a cloud server be the premium option ?

In search of pitfalls without experiencing them! Cheers.

• 1. Re: Server setup for locations with slow upload speed
          mikebeargie

The obvious first step would be to see if you can bump that internet speed up with the ISP.

As for 50 concurrent WD users + iOS users, you'll never have a great experience with < 1mbps upload. I'd consider a hosting company at that point.

Mirrorsync is a good product for syncing multiple instances of filemaker server. That might be your gateway to WD later on.

For the time being, the .8mbps upload is a bit of a bottleneck, and it is a two way bottleneck for what you've proposed. So the decision should lie with what group is considered the primary users. If it's the FMP desktop users, put the server in the office. If it's the iOS users, put it in the cloud.