4 Replies Latest reply on Nov 4, 2015 8:32 AM by gcardin

Hide object when a value is found in another table

gcardin

I want to hide a button when a certain value is found in a related table (firm_project).

My calculation looks like this : firm_project::_fk_type_firm_id = 2

A PROJECT can have multiple "fk_type_firm" related to it. I don't know what function to use to search through "firm_project" table. I manage to make it work since I used the value of the first "_fk_type_firm_id" available (3) in the "FIRM_PROJECT table but I don't understand why it seems to only look at the first value of that table and not go through it.

• 1. Re: Hide object when a value is found in another table
          mikebeargie

when you evaluate related data, it will only ever return to you the first value of the related data, unless you are using a function that is designed to evaluate all of the related data.

Functions like that include Sum(), which will summarize a number field from related data; Count(), which will count the number of related records; List() which will return a return-delimited list of data from the related records; and more.

What you need is a function that can search for a value within a list.

You can return your list with List( firm_project::_fk_type_firm_id )

Filemaker has a handy function called FilterValues as well, so if you use:

FilterValues ( List( firm_project::_fk_type_firm_id ) ; "2" )

it will return a filtered list of the matching values of "2" in your list.

Lastly, you can count the number of values to see if the condition evaluates to true:

If ( ValueCount( FilterValues( List(firm_project::_fk_type_firm_id) ; "2") ) > 0 ; "1" ; "0" )

• 2. Re: Hide object when a value is found in another table
            gcardin

Thanks Mike, it's working!

I thought it would be a much simpler formula than that!

Thanks again

• 3. Re: Hide object when a value is found in another table
              mikebeargie

You could also use this, but I figured explaining the basics of related data would be better:

if ( ExecuteSQL("SELECT COUNT(*) FROM firm_project WHERE \"_fk_type_firm_id\" = ?";"";"";"2") > 0 ; "1" ; "0" )

also, pointing out the quotes in the above statement, you may want to NOT use leading underscores in your field names. I always use a_ instead. Leading underscores are not compatible in a number of ways.

• 4. Re: Hide object when a value is found in another table
                gcardin

Ok, thanks for the information!