1 Reply Latest reply on Nov 3, 2015 12:16 PM by ninja

list non related records in related tables

johngodfrey

I have two tables, one called Contacts with address, email, etc; and a second table with specific information for some of the Contact records. They are related by = for Name. This works fine.

How to list the Contact records that do not have a related record in the second table?

Tried a second Contact (TO) table with a Name link that is 'not ='. This showed all Contact records including those with secondary info. I also tried a Layout/Form with a Portal to list Contacts with the 'not =' relationship. This also listed all records.

I'm fairly new to FMP and am not yet into scripting. I thought TO's would do what I want. What am I missing?

Thanks

• 1. Re: list non related records in related tables
          ninja

Howdy,

Two thoughts:

#1.  The link between the two tables would be better if it were not a field in use (autoenter Serialized ID).  Surely you'll come across two people with the same name....

#2.  Look from a layout based on your "specific information" table...put the ID key from your contacts table on it, and do a find for Contacts::UniqueID is blank from the perspective of "specific information".

That will leave you in a found set of "specific Information" that has no Contact associated with it.

Best,