1 2 Previous Next 16 Replies Latest reply on Nov 13, 2015 11:45 AM by disquod@bellsouth.net

Problem with FMP 8.5

disquod@bellsouth.net

I am using FileMaker Pro 8.5. I know it's an older version, but it suits my needs just fine. Recently a problem developed that I do not know how to handle. There seems to be a bad sector in my file. I can get the file to a certain point, then, after that, it goes back to the beginning of the file no matter where I scroll it to. However, if I scroll far enough down, it will go where I want it to. Let me be more specific:

This is a data base of recordings of classical music mainly arranged by composer. It starts with composer Evald Aav. I can get it to scroll down to Beethoven Symphony No. 9. Then the page (arranged as a table) stops drawing. If I try to scroll down after that, it goes back to the beginning to Evald Aav. To get anywhere past the Beethoven Ninth, I have to scroll all the way down to the M's - after Mahler - then scroll back. This will bring up all the composers until I get back to Beethoven again.

I am afraid to add to this data base because its condition seems precarious. If I click on "Recover", I get the same color scheme I have used, but the fields are all entitled "Field Missing" and every record is filled with the same thing: "Field Missing". This has not happened before.

Please advise me. This data base is of great importance to me. Should I uninstall it, then re-install the program? I have the original CD-ROM disk.

Thank you for your help.

-Larry

• 1. Re: Problem with FMP 8.5
          TSGal

disquod:

Thank you for your post.

It does appear your database file is damaged.  These are the steps I would take:

1. Make a clone of the file.  That is, save a copy of the file, and select the option "Clone (no records)".  This creates your database file without any records.

2. Open the newly created Clone file, and print out the field definitions.  This may be needed later.

3. Close the Clone and Recover the Clone.  Assuming some of the fields are damaged, you can then open the recovered file and make the necessary changes to the field definitions (as per the printout from step #2).

4. Open your original database file.  Since you have trouble getting beyond Beethoven Symphony No. 9, go down to Mahler and scroll back to Beethoven.  With the Beethoven record active, omit multiple records to the end of the file.  This should leave you with all records up to Beethoven Symphony No. 9.

5. Go to the Recovered Clone file, and import the records from your original database file.  Only those records in the found set will be imported.  Make sure all records from the found set are imported.

6. Return to the original database file and select Show Omitted.  This will then omit the first "x" records through Beethoven Symphony No. 9 and display the rest of the records.

7. Go back to the Recovered Clone file, and import the records from the original database file.  Only those records in the found set will be imported.

You should now have a complete set of records.

Let me know if you run into any difficulty.

TSGal

FileMaker, Inc.

• 2. Re: Problem with FMP 8.5
            disquod@bellsouth.net

Hi TSGal,

First of all, thank you greatly for your detailed response. It was much appreciated.

Last night, a friend (who is definitely a computer guru) and I stared to work on my file. After three hours of it, we gave up in frustration, unable to repair it. This file is enormously important to me; I need to be able to access it daily.

Is there a way in which I could ask you to do what you suggested to bring it back to health? I realize that this is asking a lot, but for you it should be a lot easier than for most people. If you cannot do it, can you recommend someone who might?

Thank you again for your attention.

-Larry

• 3. Re: Problem with FMP 8.5
              TSGal

disquod:

I can definitely work on the file.  However, if your friend worked on the file, I would prefer to work on a previous backup of the file to make sure your friend didn't accidentally change something in the file that might make it unusable.

The Community private messaging feature is currently not functioning, so I have sent instructions to our Technical Support liaison, and he will relay them to you shortly.  If you do not receive an email within 60 minutes, please let me know, and I'll make sure the instructions are sent to you immediately.

TSGal

FileMaker, Inc.

• 4. Re: Problem with FMP 8.5
                disquod@bellsouth.net

Thank you, TSGal, for your quick response. I have already heard from Steve. I just sent him e-mail asking him what the best way to send it would be. I suggested Dropbox, which usually works very well and easily for me.

Best regards,

-Larry

• 5. Re: Problem with FMP 8.5
                  TSGal

disquod:

Your email came directly to me.  Thank you.

Putting the file on your Dropbox server would be fine.  Send the link to the email that were included in the original instructions.

TSGal

FileMaker, Inc.

• 6. Re: Problem with FMP 8.5
                    disquod@bellsouth.net

Hi TSGal,

I set up a Dropbox folder called FileMaker Pro (clever name). You should be receiving very soon a request to join that box. The file is there, or will be very soon. Please let me know if there is any problem at all.

Again, thanks.

-Larry (“disquod”)

• 7. Re: Problem with FMP 8.5
                      disquod@bellsouth.net

Hi TSGal,

I set up a Dropbox folder called FileMaker Pro (clever name). You should be receiving very soon a request to join that box. The file is there, or will be very soon. Please let me know if there is any problem at all.

Again, thanks.

-Larry (“disquod”)

• 8. Re: Problem with FMP 8.5
                        TSGal

disquod:

I have not received a request to date.  The mail server administrator has also not received a request.  Can you verify that you sent the invitation to the correct address?

TSGal

FileMaker, Inc.

• 9. Re: Problem with FMP 8.5
                          disquod@bellsouth.net

Hi TSGal,

I was afraid this might happen. To be absolutely certain, what address should I have Dropbox send the request? I had them send it to discussions-community-discussions-report--an--issue@filemaker-inc-v7.hosted.jivesoftware.com. Please correct if this is wrong.

Thanks.

-Larry ("disquod")

• 10. Re: Problem with FMP 8.5
                            TSGal

disquod:

That is definitely not the address that was sent to you.  I have sent you a private message with the correct information.

TSGal

FileMaker, Inc.

• 11. Re: Problem with FMP 8.5
                              disquod@bellsouth.net

OK, sorry about that. My TSGal file is growing. I gather I should have the request sent to xxxxxxxxx.  As soon as I hear that this is correct, I will contact Dropbox.

Thanks,

-Larry ("disquod")

• 12. Re: Problem with FMP 8.5
                                TSGal

disquod:

The information you have is correct.

The reason for the private message is to remain private.  I have modified your post and removed the private information.

TSGal

FileMaker, Inc.

• 13. Re: Problem with FMP 8.5
                                  disquod@bellsouth.net

TSGal,

I just removed the old request and had a new request e-mailed to you at the address you mentioned. Please let me know if you do not receive the invitation.

Thanks,

-Larry ("disquod"

• 14. Re: Problem with FMP 8.5
                                    TSGal

disquod:

I received your file.  Thank you.

I am unable to open the file in FileMaker Pro 8.5.  I get an immediate message that the file is damaged.  I don't know how you were able to open the file and scroll.  Regardless, I ran a Recover on the file, and there are 46,424 records.  I am able to scroll through all records.

The file is being sent back to you shortly.

TSGal

FileMaker, Inc.

1 2 Previous Next