3 Replies Latest reply on Nov 5, 2015 11:25 AM by synergy46

notes field... what is the best way?

synergy46

I have a non-profit meeting application.  In this app, I have a notes field where anywhere from a few lines to several pages of notes (depends on the user) are entered.

Question: "What is the best way to display a report 'notes' field?  As is, I currently have a huge, 66 line text field.   When the meeting report is produced (browse mode) more often than not, there are 50 plus blank lines. 

I realize that after I 'collapse' the text field I can print preview and the field and the Notes field displays WITHOUT the blank lines.  But, Preview seems to have it's own set of problems:  My script is interrupted, I MUST put a toolbar above etc...  I would like a solution that works in BROWSE mode.  (fat chance, I know).

But, if you have any tips, I would like to hear them.

Thanks

Ron

• 1. Re: notes field... what is the best way?
          mikebeargie

I would pop open a new window using a layout with only the notes field on it. That would allow the user to stretch that window to their needs.

Or come up with a way (EG a separate notes table) to keep the length of the content more consistent.

• 2. Re: notes field... what is the best way?
            synergy46

The Notes field is currently in a separate table.  It is made visible when the user selects the NOTES button to activate a PopOver.

The problem is the kludgey necessity to be in PREVIEW mode in the Meetings Report to 'see' the Notes field shrunk to it's actual number of lines. 

I don't understand what you are saying when you say:  "Or come up with a way (EG a separate notes table) to keep the length of the content more consistent." 

Yes, that is the goal.  Beside using 'slide up' and Preview, I don't see a way to do it. 

• 3. Re: notes field... what is the best way?
              synergy46

To be more clear, this is the top part of my report:

header.png

I need the End/Start dates to allow for date filtering.  The report looks great while

in Preview mode (I put a temporary Preview button in the header).  Everything slides

up and is great.

The problem is that while in Preview, I need to type Cmd B to get back into Browse

mode so users might select a different date.  While in Preview any button I put on the

layout doesn't work..... Ideas?   Thanks