11 Replies Latest reply on Nov 19, 2015 7:25 PM by user19752

IWP in a Script

RickSuter

Is there a way to turn IWP off/on from a Script? I'd like to turn it off, run an existing script that will only run correctly with IWP off and then turn IWP back on.

thanks,

Rick

• 1. Re: IWP in a Script
          Stephen Huston

If your client is a browser, you would lose the connection, if this were even possible. I suggest you look at using the "perform script on server" capability to bypass web limitations.

• 2. Re: IWP in a Script
            user19752

Which version, and do you use FileMaker Server?

• 3. Re: IWP in a Script
              RickSuter

I'm on version 10.

It's very possible I'm just going about this the wrong way... Here's the situation..

I have a server database that's available all the time and a dozen users that have their own local, remote copies of essentially the same database. The remote users can work locally without being connected to anything. As required, they connect to our internal network and run scripts to SYNC their information with the server and vice versa.

I have one user that cannot be on our internal network, IWP works well for him to his own "remote" copy located on a file server, but the SYNC process will not run with IWP running on his "remote" copy. If I shut off IWP, it runs fine. My thought was to create a scheduled script that runs *from the file server* to perform the SYNC for him at off hours, but that script would need to know how to turn off/on IWP.

I also tried running IWP directly on the server database that all the other users SYNC to, but it complains that it's already shared and can't seem to do both.

thanks for your thoughts,

Rick

• 4. Re: IWP in a Script
                user19752

I can't get your situation. How his local copy opened in FMP sync using IWP? Grabbing data from web viewer?

• 5. Re: IWP in a Script
                  RickSuter

The SYNC does not use IWP. He uses IWP to get to his own copy of the database located on our internal network. He does not have access to our internal network other than IWP. He updates his copy of the database using IWP. His copy of the database has scripts that are used to SYNC to the same server database that everyone else SYNCs to. It appears those SYNC scripts cannot run while IWP is turned on. Therefore he cannot SYNC while accessing HIS database.

However, if I could just schedule a job that turns off IWP, SYNCs then turns it back on that could work. Obviously, he could not be using his database at the time this runs. His database and all the other remote databases know the name of the server and the database they SYNC to, that's how the remotes and his database do the "Import Records" and the "Export Records" from script.

thanks,

• 6. Re: IWP in a Script
                    Stephen Huston

I Don't believe the Server can read from an external file not on the server unless that file has a static IP address which can be used as an External Data Source.

• 7. Re: IWP in a Script
                      user19752

There are 2 databases, both are hosted FMS10A.

One is shared by FM network, and all users have copy of it on local.

Another is shared by IWP, for emebedding copy of 1st database in a container field for a user download it.

Is this correct?

If SYNC is done by export/import, it should be able with IWP on, it should have no matter for FM network.

• 8. Re: IWP in a Script
                        RickSuter

If SYNC is done by export/import, it should be able with IWP on, it should have no matter for FM network.

It would be great if it could... I'll test a bit more and try to capture any error I might be getting.. thanks,

• 9. Re: IWP in a Script
                          RickSuter

I've tested a bit more and when I log onto the file server and attempt SYNC, which uses Import/Export it works just fine! It doesn't appear to care if IWP is running or not. I can simultaneuosly access the same database with IWP while I'm SYNCing logged into the server. This is great.. I think I can accomplish what I need with this being the case. I will simply leave IWP alone and let it allow and handle remote access then schedule something that will perform the SYNC scripts at predefined times.

It would be nice to allow the IWP user to perform the SYNC themselves, but I suspect access from the file server to the database server is blocked by something in IWP's case and that's why SYNC fails to connect to the database server.

thank you all for the help on this!!

Rick

• 10. Re: IWP in a Script
                            RickSuter

I see SCHEDULES in FMP server admin, but don't see equivalent abilities in FMPro. I know I can write a script on the client with a Loop in it that runs all the time and performs the SYNC script at predefined times called out in the Loop script... Is there an easier way? The SYNC scripts are designed to run from the client so making them server side would .take a bit of work.

Conversely. is there some secret port I can open that would allow my IWP users that are accessing "their" DB copy on the file server to successfully open another DB on the database server?

thanks,

Rick

• 11. Re: IWP in a Script
                              user19752

Scheduled task can be done by os, but FMPro will be open in user's monitor ignoring what the user is doing, so I think it is not good idea.

I'm not sure what you mean by "secret port", but opening db file on file server is the most dangerous behavior that break the db file.