13 Replies Latest reply on Aug 17, 2016 2:37 PM by lavendt

FM14 -> Multi file solution -> using custom ports for...

lavendt

Summary:FM14 -> Multi file solution -> using custom ports for connection -> Can't authenticate

Product:FileMaker Pro

Version:14

Operating system version:MAC Yosemite and Windows 7 + 8

Description of the issue:Multifile solution hosted on FMS14. Connecting with FMP14.

Server sits behind firewall with custom ports.

e.g.:

fmnet:/<IP or hostname>:14067/<filename>

You can connect to the first file, but when you run a script in that first file to open the other files in the solution, they open, but you get promoted with login dialog for the files, that is already open. The biggest issue is that no user/pass combination is accepted.

This issue has been introduced in FMP(A)14 as it is not present on FMP(A)13

I am suspecting that FM tries to go through port 5003 for the other files instead of the custom port that you arrived via.

Major problem.

If QA contact me offline, you can get direct access to some solutions, where you can explore the problem firsthand...

/ Claus Lavendt - DataManix - claus[a]datamanix.com

Additional information:

Server is FMS13 or FMS14, the issue lies with the client 14.

Internal FM accounts. Clients on Mac, have not had opportunity to test with windows.

It has really nothing to do with accounts. The problem is that when you wants to open the first file, you enter the address: fmp:/<hostname or IP>:14000/InterfaceFile

This works fine for this file. The InterfaceFile has external sources setup, which points to e.g. a data file. This is setup to just point simply to a file, next to the InterfaceFile. (file:DataFile)

FM14 is trying to open the DataFile via std. port 5003 and not through the originating port 14000.

FM13 is opening the DataFile via the originating port.

This is what the issue is about. And it is crucial for our testing servers, that you can access multi file solutions via a custom port, since we only have 2 public IP and can not get more.

This issue was originally reported May 31, 2015 but there has been no updates....
      http://forums.filemaker.com/posts/cbd46ee854

• 1. Re: FM14 -> Multi file solution -> using custom ports for...
          TSGal

lavendt:

Thank you for your post.

The old forum post has moved to the Community and can be found at:    FM14 -> Multi file solution -> using custom ports for connection -> Can't authenticate

The last update on 28 Aug 2015 showed that our Testing department was unable to replicate the issue.

I have sent your most recent information to our Development and Testing departments for review.  When I receive any feedback, I will let you know.

TSGal

FileMaker, Inc.

• 2. Re: FM14 -> Multi file solution -> using custom ports for...
            lavendt

Hi TSGal

Thanks for the reply.

The forum post you are referring to is not working in my end. I just get a "System error" so I can't see any history, only on the old link and there has not been added any updates, that you are talking about.

I was faced with this issue again this week when one of our customers was trying to test a development solution. And there was also a thread going on at the FMPexperts mail list where another developer are facing the same problems.

Multi file db opened in FM14 keeps asking for authentication when opened over WAN

I have asked for the QA to get in touch in order to get access to my server so they can test and see for them self. That is still on the table.

• 3. Re: FM14 -> Multi file solution -> using custom ports for...
              TSGal

lavendt:

Although I can access the link from my account, I also get a "System Error" when trying to access via no account.  The link does show the user name as an email address, so I have reported this to our administrator, who is now reporting it to Jive.

All "Report an Issue" postings from the old FileMaker forum were transferred to the Community on 21 Aug 2015, so you would not see my reply from 28 Aug 2015 in the old forum.  Below is that response:

-----

Sorry for the late response.

Our testing department was unable to replicate the issue.  Here are the notes from a tester:

Windows 2012/Mac OS 10.10 - using text.txt and data port set to 14000.

Launcher file automatically opens secondary file on both local and additional server using:

a) file:/filename:14000

b) fmnet:/IP-address:14000/filename

c) from browser fmp://name:password@server_ip:14000/filename

No firewall.

-----

Are there any other factors that could contribute to the issue?

TSGal
              FileMaker, Inc.

• 4. Re: FM14 -> Multi file solution -> using custom ports for...
                lavendt

Hi and thanks

From your description of what QA tested, they did not go through a router from WAN.

This is only an issue with multi-file solutions, where there are references between the files.

All the file references set in "File -> Manage -> External Data Sources" are set to "file:<filenames>".

Below is a very simple diagram of the setup. The client is a FMP(A) client.

Test with a FMP14 client and you will be presented with multiply login dialogs when the first file tries to open other files in the solution. However, none of them will work.

Test with a FMP13 client and you can get into the solution with only entering credentials for the first file, which then opens the other files without any problems.

All files in the solution should have credentials for the user you test with. That user needs to have the same user/pass in all files.

port issue.png

• 5. Re: FM14 -> Multi file solution -> using custom ports for...
                  TSGal

lavendertt:

Thank you for the additional information.  I have attached this post and the diagram to the original report.

TSGal

FileMaker, Inc.

• 6. Re: FM14 -> Multi file solution -> using custom ports for...
                    TSGal

lavendt:

The tester was still unable to replicate the issue.  The tester showed me that he had established a remote connection to FileMaker Server 14.0.3 via port 14000.  There were three files, and the main file had two buttons to open each of the remaining files.  The firewall settings are:

Destination address = 192.168.1.xxx

Destination port = 14000

NAT IP =   <The machine with FileMaker Server installed>

NAT Ports = 50003

The router used is not a consumer "all-in-one" router, so that may be a factor.

Keep me updated with any progress.

TSGal

FileMaker, Inc.

• 7. Re: FM14 -> Multi file solution -> using custom ports for...
                      lavendt

Hi TSGal

Thanks for your reply.

Is there a way to send you an email ?

I have shot a video where I try to show the problem and where it is very clear that in FM13 everything works perfectly.

Also, I would like to provide you with more info on this solution, so that your QA might be able to spot the difference between your test and this solution....

I do not think the router is the difference as it is working with FM13..... (and I am sure you meant to write NAT Ports = 5003 and not 50003.....)

My router here is a Zyxel Zywall 110

• 8. Re: FM14 -> Multi file solution -> using custom ports for...
                        TSGal

lavendt:

The Community private messaging feature still appears to be not working.  Therefore, I have sent the message to our Technical Support liaison.  If you don't receive the message within one hour, please let me know, and I'll make sure it is sent to you immediately.

TSGal

FileMaker, Inc.

• 9. Re: FM14 -> Multi file solution -> using custom ports for...
                          TSGal

lavendt:

I received your message and link.  Thank you.

I have sent the information back to our Testing department for review.  I will keep you updated.

TSGal

FileMaker, Inc.

• 10. Re: FM14 -> Multi file solution -> using custom ports for...
                            TSGal

lavendt:

Using your files, Testing was able to replicate the issue.  In essence, having the main file open three sub-files is fine, but when one of the sub-files tries to open the other sub-files, the issue occurs.

All information has been sent to Development for further review.

TSGal

FileMaker, Inc.

• 11. Re: FM14 -> Multi file solution -> using custom ports for...
                              lavendt

Hi TSGal

Great to hear that you were able to replicate the issue, which is a behaviour change from FM13 to FM14.

I am aware that a rewrite of the solution could help with this issue, but this would require several hours of work.

Our main problem is when we do development as several of our development servers are behind a line where we can only get a single public IP address. This forces us to use the port translation trick to allow customers to get in and test the development versions. But in this case, this new behaviour prevents the customer from testing....

• 12. Re: FM14 -> Multi file solution -> using custom ports for...
                                TSGal

lavendt:

As I was going through old posts, I realized I did not let you know this issue was fixed in Filemaker Server 15.

TSGal

FileMaker, Inc.

• 13. Re: FM14 -> Multi file solution -> using custom ports for...
                                  lavendt

Hi TSGal

Thank you very much for your follow up.

I did notice this long ago in FMS15, but really appreciate your escalation of this issue.

Thanks.