3 Replies Latest reply on Nov 5, 2015 12:05 PM by mh5yu

Data entry validation questions.

mh5yu

Hello,

I am new to filemaker and have a very specific question. Tried to find answers in the previous discussions but was unsuccessful.

I have two fields in the main Table 1 (field1 and field2) that BOTH draw values from the same field (field3), which is located in the other, related table Table2, in a drop down list control style. I would like to perform the following and don't know how:

1) I would like field1 to be always filled first (by the user), so BEFORE field2, i.e. I somehow would like to block data entry to field2 if field1 is empty (that means it has not been populated by any value from the drop down list).

2) I would like to ensure that field2 is never equal field1. In other words, I would like the solution to block/prevent the entry of the value into field2 if this value is the same as in field1. The alternative way to achieve this, is to set the drop down menu list showing up for field2 to have all the values from field3 except for the one already entered in field1.

I will greatly appreciate any help or advice. Please let me know if my question is unclear in any way. Thanks for your time.

• 1. Re: Data entry validation questions.
          coherentkris

1) Use the hide object when setting in inspector for field 2 so that its hidden until field 1 has a value.

2) You could put a validation calculation on field 2 at the data level that validates always and does not allow user to override so that it is never allowed to be equal to field 1

There are other ways to do both of these things but these were the first two that came to mind.

Your choice of method depends on what user experience you want to produce.

For example using the validation options can produce a dialog that you dont have any control over.

• 2. Re: Data entry validation questions.
            HortGroup

To ensure Field2 isn't entered before Field1, I would do what coherentkris says, and hide Field2. And you could use a script on Field2 with the on object modify trigger, to see if the values are the same.

• 3. Re: Data entry validation questions.
              mh5yu

hiding field2 is perfect. validation calculation on field2 worked well; I need to learn more about script triggers but at least I know where to start : ) thank you both