11 Replies Latest reply on Dec 21, 2015 1:11 PM by AllegroDataSolutions

object hidden when it shouldn't be : popover button in portal row

alternapop

I have a portal on my layout with 2 buttons.

One button is a delete button, which deletes the portal row and commits.

The 2nd button is a Popover button that pull from another table. The Popover displays another Portal if activated.

This Popover button has conditional formatting to change the color of the button to blue if the Portal within it has records.

Screen Shot 2015-11-06 at 1.51.25 PM.png

It only appears in the first portal row despite how many records there are.  This button's, "Hide object when", value is:

IsEmpty ( Software::ID )

"Software" is the table name associated with this main Portal.

Screen Shot 2015-11-06 at 1.57.40 PM.png

The only thing I can thing of is that Popover buttons don't work in Portals like this.  If that is the case, is there a workaround?

Thanks

• 1. Re: object hidden when it shouldn't be : popover button in portal row
          dsr1

What objects does the second portal contain?

If it contains another portal it will not work. If this is the case you may need to pass focus to a single popover that is not within the source portal. So your in-portal object is a simple button and the user interfaces with a singular popover next to the portal.

• 2. Re: object hidden when it shouldn't be : popover button in portal row
            alternapop

A Popup button is considered a Portal and you can't have a Portal within it?

Is there an example or video that explains what you're suggesting?

• 3. Re: object hidden when it shouldn't be : popover button in portal row
              AllegroDataSolutions

Well, I'm completely baffled by this one. This problem occurred exactly as described here. I had never seen it, but was certain that I had been able to make this work. I looked back over some recent solutions and sure enough I had put popover buttons on portal rows in my turnkey Made-for-FileMaker solution ("Allegro Mini-Calendar"), but it just would not work in the new solution. So, I copied and pasted one of the popover buttons into the portal row and -- like magic -- I can now display a popover in each row, each showing fields from the record that wouldn't fit in the row.

I am seeing too much stuff like this in FMA 14 for Windows to consider this a stable build (and, yes, I have all the updates installed and current as of this writing). But I keep seeing behaviors that look like major stability problems and inconsistent results from sloppy programming an ineffective debugging by FMI. I can't tell you how many times I have written a SIMPLE calc (such as IF one field = something, SET the value of the some other field to a specified value) and not been able to get it to work (the field shows no result for the calculation). Then I give up and shut down FMA 14. The next time I open the file, it's working fine.

(FYI - I am indefinitely delaying the release of the next version of Allegro Mini-Calendar until FMI fixes the bugs in FMP & FMA 14 for Windows. No point in releasing source code that users can modify if I can't predict what's going to happen to it. Just the weirdness with the Script Workspace alone -- which the first update claimed to fix -- is reason enough to delay. If you move one script step, a completely different step moves somewhere else, or nothing happens at all. And no Undo command. I feel like I'm playing Russian Roulette every time I work with it. I reported this on the day version 14 was released. There is still no fix for it and the company has stopped replying to my inquires about it. Nice way to build customer confidence and improve relationships with developers.)

• 4. Re: object hidden when it shouldn't be : popover button in portal row
                Extensitech

alternapop wrote:

A Popup button is considered a Portal and you can't have a Portal within it?

No. A portal is considered a portal, and you cannot put a portal within a portal (even if there's a popover "layer" between them).

From the FileMaker Help topic "adding a popover", in the "Notes" section:

• You can place a popover inside a portal; however, you cannot place a portal on that popover.

Chris Cain

Extensitech

• 5. Re: object hidden when it shouldn't be : popover button in portal row
                  schamblee

The problem is as Chris already stated.  You can not have a portal inside a portal even if the inner portal is in a popover.  You can have popovers in portals as long as that popover does not contain a portal.

No bug, it has been documented by FMI that a portal can not be within another portal, which is what the OP is trying to do.

• 6. Re: object hidden when it shouldn't be : popover button in portal row

Another thought. Is it possible that your second button is touching the upper side of the list in layout mode? If so that might be the reason it only shows up in the first row.

The function as a portal is another issue, but it would seem that it would show up even if it didn't work.

• 7. Re: object hidden when it shouldn't be : popover button in portal row
                      keywords

I think your description, and hence the responses so far, are missing the key point which lies here: "It only appears in the first portal row despite how many records there are"

It is possible to have an object, in your case a button, appearing, in Layout mode, to be position in a portal row but actually to be hovering over a portal and not "captured" by the portal, so to speak—even if the numbers in the Position Inspector say it is in the correct spot. This behaviour typically happens if you move an object from outside a portal to within a portal by using the Align buttons, so you have to follow up as noted below to complete the capture.

The solution is very simply: select the object and nudge it one pixel up or down, then back again. When it is captured by the portal a horizontal dynamic guide will show, probably centre-aligned with other portal contents.

• 8. Re: object hidden when it shouldn't be : popover button in portal row
                        Extensitech

It is true that objects sometimes need to be "wiggled" to get them onto a portal. However, if there's a portal in that popover button, no amount of wiggling with make the button "stick" to the portal. Try it.

Chris Cain

Extensitech

• 9. Re: object hidden when it shouldn't be : popover button in portal row
                          keywords

Just tried it Chris. You are right, of course. I also ran a further test. If you have a popover button that is already captured by a portal, you cannot then add a portal to the popover—in other words the converse, you can't get a popover button that is part of a portal to "capture" portal in its contents.

• 10. Re: object hidden when it shouldn't be : popover button in portal row
                            Extensitech

Right. I actually had to go through the exercise again myself to be sure how the portal-in-portal was prevented. I'm sure I went through that when popovers were first introduced, but I couldn't remember for sure what it looked like when FM "thwarts" your attempts to do it anyway.

Still a good point to remember about the "wiggle". That one's sure gotten me enough times!

Chris Cain

Extensitech

• 11. Re: object hidden when it shouldn't be : popover button in portal row
                              AllegroDataSolutions

I could swear that the popover button worked on only the first row before I put anything into it (and that it was small enough to fit in the row), but I'm not 100% sure. Though, I have to say, this wouldn't be the first time where I got something to work by simply deleting the object or cutting and pasting it from another file.