2 Replies Latest reply on Nov 9, 2015 9:21 AM by PeterDoern

Stacking Objects / Items on a layout

sreese

Greetings FM Community!

So I thought of something today and wanted to get community feedback on it. I'm looking for pros cons and other methodologies.

I don't know what the general practice is, but in our case we have a couple of layouts that we need to have panes stacked on top of each other so the correct one shows based on user input. Lots of additional fields and layout items. Since it isn't a web layout I'm not overly concerned with it effecting the speed of the layout.

Right now we group the items together with their background pane so that they can be neatly stacked together on a layout, but pulled out of the way when not needed.

As I was planning for some code today a new way for me to do this. I have never really liked that I have to group the items together because then I end up having to remove the grouping and recreate it every time I need to change a field position. So the idea hit me to use a 1 tab Tab Control. This way I could put the fields inside of it and only have to put the hide calculation on the tab box itself. I can then keep a small box at bottom layer that is locked and always re-align these by connecting to that box and aligning top and left.

No more need to group and ungroup.

However, I don't want to be overzealous in this approach and see what others in the community might do.

Thanks for your time!

Scott