3 Replies Latest reply on Nov 9, 2015 3:54 PM by steveromig

FMP 14.03 Crashes on File Open in El Capitan

hickam

I am having a problem with a file where it crashes (this morning 3 out of 3 tries on one computer and 3 out of 5 tries on another) when opening the file. No one else is experiencing this problem but one user (with a new imac) and myself. Both of us are running 14.0.3 on El Capitan. The user is in FMP I am in FMPA.

I have stepped through the On open script twice and it does not crash...

Has this problem been recognized by filemaker? Is there a known script step or something that causes this problem? Is anybody looking into this problem?

• 1. Re: FMP 14.03 Crashes on File Open in El Capitan
          steveromig

I am having a problem with a file where it crashes (this morning 3 out of 3 tries on one computer and 3 out of 5 tries on another) when opening the file. No one else is experiencing this problem but one user (with a new imac) and myself. Both of us are running 14.0.3 on El Capitan. The user is in FMP I am in FMPA.

I have stepped through the On open script twice and it does not crash...

Has this problem been recognized by filemaker? Is there a known script step or something that causes this problem? Is anybody looking into this problem?

There are no known issues like this with El Capitan that I am aware of.

Does this happen with all files or just the one you are trying to open?  Any plugins involved?  Does the startup script land on a particular layout and if so, can you edit your script temporarily to see if the layout is the problem?

Steve Romig

FileMaker, Inc.

• 2. Re: FMP 14.03 Crashes on File Open in El Capitan
            hickam

I did another post after this because I discovered a consistently reproducible problem. The problem is the sorting of a portal. When the startup script stops it is parked on a home screen where there is a default tab control featuring a portal that sorts. (approximately 8000 records) It is absolutely during the portal sort. I turn off the sort and there are no crashes...

No plugins.

Yes - same home layout each time. the startup script finally goes to the "Home" screen of the solution and stops. At that time the portal sort begins and after 15 or so seconds a crash occurs.

It's definitely the portal sort.

We recovered the file without issues and have tried it on both computers with el capitan (one remote one local). Problem is consistent. I have turned the portal sort off for now but that is not a long term solution to the problem.

• 3. Re: FMP 14.03 Crashes on File Open in El Capitan
              steveromig

I did another post after this because I discovered a consistently reproducible problem. The problem is the sorting of a portal. When the startup script stops it is parked on a home screen where there is a default tab control featuring a portal that sorts. (approximately 8000 records) It is absolutely during the portal sort. I turn off the sort and there are no crashes...

No plugins.

Yes - same home layout each time. the startup script finally goes to the "Home" screen of the solution and stops. At that time the portal sort begins and after 15 or so seconds a crash occurs.

It's definitely the portal sort.

We recovered the file without issues and have tried it on both computers with el capitan (one remote one local). Problem is consistent. I have turned the portal sort off for now but that is not a long term solution to the problem.

Ah...

Based on your description this is likely a known issue that we are investigating. 

I don't have any updates or workaround(s) at this time other than to say this is directly related to the sorting of portals in a similar scenario that you described.

Steve Romig

FileMaker, Inc.