2 Replies Latest reply on Nov 9, 2015 12:08 PM by jbrown

Is it possible to have a different landing page for iPad users?

weedonpaul

Is it possible to lock iPad users out of certain pages and give them a different landing page. I eventually want to give clients access to certain parts of their data, but that's whole different discussion (baby steps) first of all I would like to be able to access a few pages on the go, by directing users to only iPad specific pages.

• 1. Re: Is it possible to have a different landing page for iPad users?
          jbrown

Afternoon.

Developers will typically create an OnOpen script that detects the device using the function Get(Device).

If (Get(Device) = 3,

/// Go to iPad layouts

End If

This allows you to send them to iPad-only or iPhone only layouts.

YOU Can also use Get(ApplicationVersion) .

The first function works for both webdirect and FM Go. The latter function just works for FM Go.

I'm probably wrong but Get(Device) is meant to be the more modern version.

To get the onOpen script to work, go to File / File Options / Script triggers. Choose "OnFirstWindowOpen" and pick the script that runs this script.

--

You should also explore FIleMaker's security. This native security model can make layouts available or unavailable depending on one of the above functions. Its a more complicated structure but well worth your time to learn.

Also make sure the layouts are not visible in the layout-drop down. That's not secure, but will certainly hinder people's attempt to go elsewhere.

• 2. Re: Is it possible to have a different landing page for iPad users?
            weedonpaul

many thanks for that works a charm

at the moment the database is just for my wife and I but once working I intend to get rid of all the layouts from the drop down list and indeed the bar at the top.

really do appreciate your help