1 2 Previous Next 17 Replies Latest reply on Nov 19, 2015 3:58 AM by Benjamin Fehr

FMGo 14.0.4 alters PersistenID

Benjamin Fehr

Product and version:  FMGo 14.0.4

OS and version: iOS 9.x

Hardware: iPhone 5 / iPad mini

Description: updating FMGo alters PersistentID

How to replicate: Evaluate PersistentID with FMGo 14.0.3, perform update FMGo 14.0.4, evaluate PersistentID

iPhone 5:

before update:     E179CE7B629D4B5AA6446F05########

after update:       1AEB958824934AA7A3350EBB########

(last 8 digits anonymized for privacy reasons)

Workaround:  none

• 1. Re: FMGo 14.0.4 alters PersistenID
          TSGal

efficientbizz:

Thank you for your post.

I have already updated my iOS devices to FileMaker Go 14.0.4, so I am unable to test.  Therefore, I have sent all of the information to our Development and Testing teams for review.  When I receive any feedback, I will let you know.

TSGal

FileMaker, Inc.

• 2. Re: FMGo 14.0.4 alters PersistenID
            Malcolm

PersistentID() was called

VolatileMachineID_MayChangeOnRestartRestoreUpgradeOrChangeOfTimeZone()

but who can type that without making mistakes  

malcolm

• 3. Re: FMGo 14.0.4 alters PersistenID
              Benjamin Fehr

MayChangeOnRestartRestoreUpgradeOrChangeOfTimeZone()

I will check this for sure. No big deal to change the timezone temporarily.

Anyway, a PersistentID is supposed to stay persistent

• 4. Re: FMGo 14.0.4 alters PersistenID
                Malcolm

My last message was a joke, but at a recent training session we were

told by a FileMaker Engineer that PersistentID would change in a variety

of situations which were out of our control.

The message was that PersistentID( ) is reasonably persistent but it is

not permanent. I think you are looking for a permanent ID.

Malcolm

• 5. Re: FMGo 14.0.4 alters PersistenID
                  Benjamin Fehr

Though far we know that PersistentID on iOS is built on a string within the file path.

The File Path is determined by iOS whenever installing a iApp and is supposed to stay fixed until the App gets deleted.

De-installing AND re-installing a iApp will alter it's PersistentID.

• 6. Re: FMGo 14.0.4 alters PersistenID
                    TSGal

efficientbizz:

Development and Testing have confirmed the PersistentID will only change if you remove all instances of FileMaker Go from the device.  If you update from a previous version, the PersistentID will remain the same.  If you remove FileMaker Go 14.0.3 and install FileMaker Go 14.0.4, then the PersistentID will change (unless you also had FileMaker Go 12 and/or FileMaker Go 13 also installed as that would result in the same PersistentID).

TSGal

FileMaker, Inc.

• 7. Re: FMGo 14.0.4 alters PersistenID
                      TorstenBernhard

May I suggest that the boundaries of PersistentID are defined in writing in the product documentation.

• 8. Re: FMGo 14.0.4 alters PersistenID
                        TSGal

TorstenBernhard:

In the Help for Get (PersistentID), it states:

"If a FileMaker Go user restores an iOS backup to a different device, the value returned by Get(PersistentID) changes. If a backup is restored to the same iOS device, the returned value remains the same. For more information, see the FileMaker Knowledge Base."

Although Knowledge Base Article #12074 is mainly about the behavior differences of Get (PersistentID), the article does include Frequently Asked Questions about the effect on iOS devices.

TSGal

FileMaker, Inc.

• 9. Re: FMGo 14.0.4 alters PersistenID
                          TorstenBernhard

The technical doc covers some aspects but is not exhaustive. The issue covered in this thread is "updating FMGo changes the return value of Get (PersistentID)". This case is not covered in the doc. The knowledge Base Article you cited dates from the time of iOS 7, when Apple nixed the MAC address available to apps.

I have to insist: The fact that a version update changes the PersistentID should be documented on the very same page as the function itself, because it has implications for solutions which rely on it for device identification. Only if you can confirm that a version update does not alter the return value of this function, you don't need to document.

• 10. Re: FMGo 14.0.4 alters PersistenID
                            Benjamin Fehr

I thought we don't talk anymore about that iOS7- PersistenID incident.

That's what my psychiatrist told me

• 11. Re: FMGo 14.0.4 alters PersistenID
                              TSGal

TorstenBernhard:

If you are updating FileMaker Go, the value of Get (PersistentID) will not change.

I created a database file (Test3.fmp12) with a button that executes the single step "Show Custom Dialog" with the title being set to:   Get (PersistentID)

I found an iPad with FileMaker Go 14.0.1, and moved Test3.fmp12 onto the iPad.  I clicked the button, and an ID is displayed.

I closed the file, exited FileMaker Go 14.0.1, and then updated to FileMaker Go 14.0.4.  I launched FileMaker Go 14.0.4, opened Test3.fmp12, clicked the button, and the same ID is displayed.

I then removed FileMaker Go 14.0.4 and an older version of FileMaker Go from the iPad, and installed a new copy of FileMaker Go 14.0.4.  I moved over Test3.fmp12, launched FileMaker Go 14.0.4, opened Test3.fmp12, clicked the button, and a new ID is displayed.

TSGal

FileMaker, Inc.

• 12. Re: FMGo 14.0.4 alters PersistenID
                                TorstenBernhard

TSGal,

Thank you for testing and providing evidence. My post was not clear enough regarding one point:

Version update means i.e. from v13 to v14 (major release number change and no v14 previously installed). How does PersistentID behave in such a case?

• 13. Re: FMGo 14.0.4 alters PersistenID
                                  Benjamin Fehr

TorstenBernhard

Already proofed: FMGo 14 will have another PersistentID than FMGo13!

This behavior is given by iOS. When installing any iApp (as FMGo would be), the iOS determines a path containing a unique string. This string is the source for FMGo to build a PersistentID.

• 14. Re: FMGo 14.0.4 alters PersistenID
                                    Benjamin Fehr

see this report for details:

iOS 7 - Get(SystemNICAdress) returns wrong value

as stated, the called "temporary path" can look like this:

/private/var/mobile/Applications/######1A-A6B6-43BF-994F-70E76C3914B4/tmp/S15/

where the red string presumably serves as sources for FMGo PersistentID

1 2 Previous Next