7 Replies Latest reply on Nov 12, 2015 10:33 AM by schamblee

Licensing Question for Replacing Existing FMS Hardware

CreativeFM

Hello FM brethren,

I am moving our company's production FMS to a new VM from its current VM. Once I'm done with the move, I'll be decommissioning the previously used VM leaving only the new VM in production when all is said and done.

Now, my question relates to licensing during this move:

Can I use the same FMS license (the one currently installed on what will be the "old" VM) when configuring the new VM? At any given time during the transition only one of these FMS instances will be actually hosting database files accessed by FMP clients.

I'm sure this isn't the first time someone has come across this scenario, but I'm not able to find any discussions on this topic.

Many thanks in advance for any assistance you can provide!

• 1. Re: Licensing Question for Replacing Existing FMS Hardware
          schamblee

Yes, you can move FMS to a new VM and or computer. If FMS detects another copy of FMS running then the second copy will not run. It will give you an error message,

• 2. Re: Licensing Question for Replacing Existing FMS Hardware
            CreativeFM

Thanks schamblee

I'm working with a single license, so what you're saying is that I can't actually use the same license key for the FMS installation on the new VM so long as the old VM (and FMS) is running? If that's true, I'm looking at quite a bit more downtime for my users than I was anticipating. My plan was to have minimal downtime by configuring the new server (sans database files) while the old server was operating as per the norm. Because both VMs are on the same network, it sounds like I'm going to need to follow these steps:

• On old VM
              1. Disconnect all users
              2. Close databases
              3. Create backup of schedules, etc.
              4. Create backup of databases
              5. Copy backups to sharepoint
              6. Stop FMS services
              7. Uninstall FMS
            • On new VM
              1. Install/configure FMS
              2. Copy databases from sharepoint backups
              3. Reload schedules, etc.
              4. Open databases
              5. Users log on

My hope was that I'd be able to do step 1 of "On new VM" before step 1 of "On old VM", mostly to save time.

No big deal, though.

Thanks!

• 3. Re: Licensing Question for Replacing Existing FMS Hardware
              schamblee

No, only one copy can be running at a time, if you need more than one copy then you will need an addition license.  FMS will detect another copy with the same license key and will not let the new copy run.

DO NOT RUN TWO COPIES  AT THE SAME TIME.   FMI will let you reinstall FMS,  including upgrades to your server but your license is only for one server.

• 4. Re: Licensing Question for Replacing Existing FMS Hardware
                CreativeFM

I understand how licensing works (even without you using all-caps, believe it or not). I don't think you're understanding the scenario, though, since you've said "...if you need more than one copy then you will need an addition license." The "second" installation, as it may be considered, would not host data or provide any FMS services to any clients.

I don't believe FMI would require someone in this situation to purchase a new server license for the estimated 3-hrs it will take to do the steps outline above in a sequence that results in minimal downtime for users.

I would not need the second license once the new VM operational as the production server. The old and new production server hosting would not overlap.

• 5. Re: Licensing Question for Replacing Existing FMS Hardware
                  macwombat

I don't believe FMI would require someone in this situation to purchase a new server license for the estimated 3-hrs it will take to do the steps outline above in a sequence that results in minimal downtime for users.

Certainly prior to annual licencing model this would have been the situation.  You would set up your new server before disconnecting users and swapping servers.  Don't know how it works with annual licencing model but it ought to be the same.  Otherwise there are going to be an awful lot of system admins and developers who will be very upset and even more users who will be even more upset!  Would love to know the answer if you get one from FMI.

• 6. Re: Licensing Question for Replacing Existing FMS Hardware
                    macwombat

Are you using FMS14?  This might be helpful - should have looked for it before my first reply:

Standby Server - Overview | FileMaker

• 7. Re: Licensing Question for Replacing Existing FMS Hardware
                      schamblee

I used all caps to emphasize the statement and to make it easier to read, when post get long the wording kind of runs together.       FMI understand that you have to upgrade your system from time to time, they just don't want you buying one copy to run more than one server.