13 Replies Latest reply on Nov 12, 2015 5:00 PM by Mike_Mitchell

Can scroll bars be added to Tab sections?

firecop1

Cant seem to find any documentation regarding the use of scroll bars within a tab section.

Is this possible?

Thanks in advance.

• 1. Re: Can scroll bars be added to Tab sections?
          coherentkris

Scroll bars are only a built into portals, edit boxes, and popovers

1 of 1 people found this helpful
          • 2. Re: Can scroll bars be added to Tab sections?
            firecop1

Thanks. I had hoped otherwise.

Regards.

• 3. Re: Can scroll bars be added to Tab sections?
              Mike_Mitchell

What exactly are you trying to achieve?

• 4. Re: Can scroll bars be added to Tab sections?
                firecop1

I am developing a solution for my Fire Marshals to conduct life safety inspections on their iPads.

I have the list of items that they inspection separated into tabs, but some have more items than others (example: there are 20 things to check in regards to fire exits, there are only 6 things to check relating to fire extinguishers. Therefore, the fire exit tab will have more items in it than the extinguisher tab will. This is my problem.

• 5. Re: Can scroll bars be added to Tab sections?
                  Mike_Mitchell

You just don't like the dead space that results from making the tab control big enough to hold the largest number of items?

• 6. Re: Can scroll bars be added to Tab sections?
                    keywords

Have you tried using Slide Controls instead of tab panels? You could set up one slide control for exits and a second one for extinguishers, make each one the size required to accommodate all the required elements, and perhaps make each conditionally visible depending on an inspection field where the user chooses exits or extinguishers via a radio button.

• 7. Re: Can scroll bars be added to Tab sections?
                      Mike_Mitchell

Yeah, that’s kinda the direction I was going. Another option would be 2 slide controls, one that shows up always (with one panel for exits, one for extinguishers) and a second, hidden one that shows up when you need the extra space.

• 8. Re: Can scroll bars be added to Tab sections?
                        firecop1

Mike. There isn't much dead space within the tabs as I am using a touch theme so the fields are large enough to easily navigate on the iPad.

I don't have any experience working with slide controls, so I am not sure how I would employ them within my layout? Do you know of any examples that I might be able to look at?

Thanks again to you both.

• 9. Re: Can scroll bars be added to Tab sections?
                          Mike_Mitchell

Well, now I'm wondering if the suggestion is the right one because I don't know what your objective is. What exactly are you trying to achieve with the design?

• 10. Re: Can scroll bars be added to Tab sections?
                            firecop1

Just looked at the Slide control option. The benefit I see for my application would be that while I would still need tabs, I would not need 15 of them as I could insert the slide control into one tab called violations. The other tabs would be for address and building information;c contact information; hazardous materials (I have a linked table that is used within that tab) etc...Is this what you were thinking or am I off track?

Thanks

• 11. Re: Can scroll bars be added to Tab sections?
                              Mike_Mitchell

Uh ... 15 tabs? I think you need to back up a little on this design. That many tabs indicates you're probably trying to cram too much onto one layout, especially on a touch device.

Yes, slide controls can help you reuse the same screen real estate, more effectively than tabs in many cases. Of course, that's not what keywords and I are really thinking (necessarily), but rather using the Hide Object functionality to expose a second tab control located below the first to give you extra room.

But I think we need to hear more about your goals for this design before we make any more recommendations.

• 12. Re: Can scroll bars be added to Tab sections?
                                firecop1

Here is a screen grab of my inspection layout. Please be gentle on me as I have only been working with Filemaker for a few weeks. All of the tabs on this layout deal with violations that would be found on the exterior of a building. Once the marshal completes these, he would then press a button that would take him to another layout with tabs for violations found WITHIN a building. The "Combustibles tab only has 5 violations within it and while I have not set it up yet, if "Fail" is selected for any one, a "Notes' Field will appear at the bottom of the tab for the Marshal to explain what he found. The plan is also to somehow be able to take and insert a photo from the iPad next to any "Fail" violation. In this case, if all 5 violations were listed as "Fail", there could be five photos.

grab11.tiff

• 13. Re: Can scroll bars be added to Tab sections?
                                  Mike_Mitchell

From what I can tell here (and correct me if I'm wrong; I'm not a fire inspector), it looks like you have categories of "stuff to inspect", and then you have a list of items to inspect within each category. Based on that, I would suggest that you rework your data model. It might look something like this:

Inspection --< Category --< Item

In other words, you have three tables: One where each record represents an inspection (Inspections); one where each record represents a category on an inspection (Category); and one where each record represents an item attached to a category on an inspection (Item). Instead of hard-coding a series of fields and tabs, each item you inspect becomes a record, tied to the parent via key fields. (Check out the Data Modeling chapter in the FileMaker Training Series for more on this.)

You would then have a single data entry screen for each inspection. Instead of a series of tabs, create a pull-down where the user selects the category. Then, a portal displays all items belonging to that category. This solves your photo problem: Each record in Item can have a container field to store the photo associated with the failing evaluation.

This is a little more advanced, but you'll have a lot of advantages in the long run. If you ever need to change the items being inspected, or add or remove a category, it's a simple matter of updating data. You don't have to modify your database. (I would suggest you have a CategoryLibrary and ItemLibrary table, so you can just pull the items into each inspection via scripting as it's created.) You also have way fewer objects on your layout to maintain. Makes it a lot easier in the long run. (And I like easy. I'm lazy.)  

Of course, if that sounds too complicated. then I would suggest instead you use a pull-down for the category and substitute a slide control for the tab. Use Go to Object to navigate to the correct slide panel as the user selects a category. (That still leaves the issue of the photographs, but you can solve that using a popover and associated container field.)

(And I'm still lost on why we wanted a scroll bar for the tab control ... )   

HTH

Mike