5 Replies Latest reply on Nov 12, 2015 10:07 PM by RobertWard

ExecuteSQL

RobertWard

I hope that someone can help me on this one.

I have a Program table which contains programs names and two number fields representing the last four digits of the year. The two number fields are parsed out from a global field, which contains a date range e.g. 2014-2015. One number field is YEARFROM and the other number field is YEARTO. In order to get the YEARFROM and YEARTO, I parse them out into global variables as $$_YEARFROM and $$_YEARTO, so that I ca use them in a find operation.

I am trying to write an ExecuteSQL statement which tells me if a particular program name exists within a date range like 2015 to 2016. Now I know that in the Program table I have two records that contain the program name "Secure Future$ Outreach" with a date of 2015 to 2016. Here is the SQL statement.

ExecuteSQL ("

SELECT Count(Name_Program)

FROM PROGRAM

WHERE Name_Program = 'Secure Future$ Outreach' and

' " & $$_YEARFROM & " ' = '2015' and

' " & $$_YEARTO & " ' = '2016' " ; "" ; "" )

The result I get is 0 when the result should return 2. Notice that I am including the two variables in the WHERE statement. I do not get a ?, so this is telling me that the syntax should be correct or at least it's acceptable. For now I am just trying to get the results based on hard coded dates, ultimately, I will change this to use a dynamic result. One thing to note is that the variable name $$_YEARFROM is a reserved word in SQL. But I don't know if that applies to variable names. In any case, I did try to double quote the variable name as $$_"YEARFROM" and I get an error doing that.

Any ideas from anyone on why I don't get my result of 2 returned?

• 1. Re: ExecuteSQL
          beverly

Likely the format is not quite right. And you cannot search IN the variables.

When calling variables, I use the ? parameters:

ExecuteSQL ("

SELECT Count(Name_Program)

FROM PROGRAM

WHERE Name_Program = 'Secure Future$ Outreach' and

YEARFROM = ? and

YEARTO ? " ; "" ; ""

; $$YEARFROM; $$YEARTO )

Does that help?

beverly

• 2. Re: ExecuteSQL
            RobertWard

Thank you for your rely Beverly,

It's definitely helpful to know that I should not search in variables in the WHERE statement. I did not know that. Unfortunately, the returned result is 0 and not 2. My field name of YEARFROM is a reserved word... well YEAR is and FROM is as separate words, but I have to escape it anyways or it errors. So, I write this as:

ExecuteSQL (

"SELECT Count(Name_Program)

FROM PROGRAM

WHERE Name_Program = 'Secure Future$ Outreach' and \"YEARFROM\" = ? and \"YEARTO\" = ? " ; $$YEARFROM ; $$YEARTO )

but still no good.

• 3. Re: ExecuteSQL
              RobertWard

Okay. Results are good now. Bad format. I left out the row and column parts.

ExecuteSQL (

"SELECT Count(Name_Program)

FROM PROGRAM

WHERE Name_Program = 'Secure Future$ Outreach' and \"YEARFROM\" = ? and \"YEARTO\" = ? " ; "" ; "" $$YEARFROM ; $$YEARTO )

Thanks Beverly. I appreciate your help a great deal.

• 4. Re: ExecuteSQL
                beverly

I'm glad you caught your error, Robert!

Something that may help: If you place EvaluationError() around your ExecuteSQL(), you will get the error code if it's not right. Only do that, if you get the dread "?" result, of course.

Beverly

• 5. Re: ExecuteSQL
                  RobertWard

Thank you for the tip. I will give that a try.