13 Replies Latest reply on Nov 18, 2015 11:30 AM by tays01s

Hareware vs layouts

tays01s

I'm aiming a solution initially as an RTS for Mac/PC, later FMG for iPad, possibly iPhone.

I wanted to have an opening script determine which layouts to display. I have seen scripts such as this using:

- PatternCount ( Get ( ApplicationVersion ) ; "XX" ) and Get ( SystemPlatform ) but wouldn't

- get (device) be better, particularly in determining what layout size the user should be directed to?

• 1. Re: Hareware vs layouts
          Markus Schneider

since we can get the info for this, I'm quite happy with that - hardware (device) will change every year...

I agree that the name is misleading -> so maybe it's worth a feature request ('product ideas')

• 2. Re: Hareware vs layouts
            tays01s

So you'd say 'get(device)' might be a dangerous route?

And that PatternCount ( Get ( ApplicationVersion ) ; "XX" ) and Get ( SystemPlatform ) is more definitive?

• 3. Re: Hareware vs layouts
              Markus Schneider

no - absolutely not

you just get a '4' for an iPhone - no matter what model and webpublishing is not a device

• 4. Re: Hareware vs layouts
                BruceRobertson

I like the idea of hareware. Long floppy ears.

• 5. Re: Hareware vs layouts
                  jbante

Get ( Device ) is more straightforward for the purpose of switching to device-specific layouts than Get ( ApplicationVersion ) and Get ( SystemPlatform ), but as you've pointed out, it still doesn't distinguish between different sizes of iPhones, iPod Touches, or (presumably) iPads. Get ( ApplicationVersion ) and Get ( SystemPlatform ) don't do that, either. You'll have to use the Get functions for screen or desktop dimensions for that, if you aren't happy with the control available via FileMaker's object resizing.

• 6. Re: Hareware vs layouts
                    tays01s

Infamy at mis-spelling; but yes, 'Hareware' does have a softer feel.

Perhaps I might phrase my Q 'positively': To differentiate screen sizes of hardware, in order to then direct the user to the correct layout, what would be the best script step? Incidentally, I've never seen anything defining an iPad mini so that screen size can be set.

• 7. Re: Hareware vs layouts
                      tays01s

So actually, forget the device re. differentiating what layout to match screen size and instead use:

Get (screenheight) and get (screenwidth)?

What's get (screendepth)? I can't see any info on it.

• 8. Re: Hareware vs layouts
                        jbante

The iPad mini and the iPad (Air) do not have logically different screen sizes. They have the same number of pixels, and FileMaker has no way to tell the difference between the two. Get ( Device ) should still be useful for directing users to different layouts. Click-centric layouts for desktops and laptops can be the same size or smaller than touch-centric layouts for iPads, but the design considerations for the two will still be just as different.

Get ( ScreenDepth ) refers to the range of colors the screen will display.

• 9. Re: Hareware vs layouts
                          tays01s

jbante: Thanks. However, doesn't 'Get (Screenheight/width) work in points and therefore if you assume say >450 and >750 it will be hardware with a reasonably large screen size and if below those sizes, you could assume a phone screen size. Might that not work?

• 10. Re: Hareware vs layouts
                            jbante

iPad screens are still bigger than 450 and 750 points. Layouts designed for iPads generally use larger tap targets and text sizes than layouts for lap/desktop devices.

• 11. Re: Hareware vs layouts
                              tays01s

Any suggestions in points for the optimal cut-off between Desktop and iOS? Or is it best to combine 'get(device)' and a screen size criteria?

• 12. Re: Hareware vs layouts
                                jbante

Combine Get ( Device ) with screen size functions. Get ( Device ) tells you the different between iPhone, iPad, and desktop. Screen size can tell you the difference between an iPhone 6 vs. 6+, or the difference between iPad vs. iPad Pro (or at least it hypothetically should; I haven't had the opportunity to test that personally). There is no way to tell the difference between an iPad and an iPad mini, though.

• 13. Re: Hareware vs layouts
                                  tays01s

jbante: Thanks, Stephen. !