2 Replies Latest reply on Nov 16, 2015 1:16 PM by TSGal

Bad text string causes DDR crash

fitch

Product and version FileMaker Pro Advanced 14.0.4 32-bit

OS and version Windows 7

Description

Running a DDR was causing FMPA to "quit unexpectedly" every time. The DDR xml file would be truncated at seemingly random places. After a few hours of troubleshooting, I traced it to this:

A script with a Custom Dialog script step in it, with a button whose text is:

""@#$!@$!@$""

The script actually works, but if you try to actually save the dialog step, it won't accept that string of text as valid. See how it has a pair of quotes at each end. My guess is that the text might have had a single quote when it was created, probably in FileMaker 10 or 11 (I'm not the creator of the file so I don't know for sure), and that the extra quotes were added during conversion.

So perhaps the real bug is: expletive text is not converted properly?

How to replicate

This is obscure, I know. If you're really interested, I could send you a clone of the file so you can crash the DDR. I don't have an old non-converted file to figure out how this came to be.

Workaround

I changed the text to "OK" and now the DDR is created without issues.

• 1. Re: Bad text string causes DDR crash
          TSGal

fitch:

Thank you for your post

I would definitely like a clone of the file so I can get the file to Development and Testing for review.  I have sent you a private message with instructions where to send the file.

TSGal

FileMaker, Inc.

• 2. Re: Bad text string causes DDR crash
            TSGal

fitch:

I received your file.  Thank you.

I am able to make it crash under Windows 7 with FileMaker Pro 14.0.4.  However, it does not crash under Mac OS X 10.10.5 nor Mac OS X 10.11.1.

As pointed out, there are two pairs of quotes on each end of the string.  I changed the string to a single pair of quotes (keeping the same text string), and the crash no longer occurs.

I have forwarded this information along with your file to our Development and Testing teams for review.  When I receive any feedback, I will let you know.

TSGal

FileMaker, Inc.