4 Replies Latest reply on Nov 14, 2015 5:00 AM by stiflermt

Using MYSQL as external database

stiflermt

To whom it may concern,

I am demoing Filemaker for the purposes of a project I am undertaking. It seems to fit my needs perfectly, but I have one small concern that I would appreciate clarification.

The solution will be based on Filemaker server with a number of IPads acting as data input terminals, The database will be a external mysql backend database (hence file maker will act as the CRUD GUI for end users). My concern is that the solution must capture signatures, I know this is possible using the built in file maker database, but since I would like to use an external database is this possible?

My idea was to change the settings of the container filed to store the captured signatures in external storage, hence my understanding is that a file reference would than be stored in the field and hence a text filed as opposed to BLOB in mysql (unsupported in file maker) would suffice.

Your feedback re the above is appreciated

• 1. Re: Using MYSQL as external database
          wimdecorte

External (or Remote) Container storage is not a document mgmt feature, but strictly a way for FMS to manage the data.  So having another application touch those files is not a good idea.

Also: very carefully read chapter 9 of the FileMaker Training Series Advanced book; it lists all the gotcha's of trying to turn FM in nothing but a UI/scripting environment with an ESS database backend.

One alternative you can consider is to transform the captured signature into Base64-encoded text and store that into MySQL.

• 2. Re: Using MYSQL as external database
            stiflermt

Thank you for your valuable insight. Will defiantly give it a read. In all honesty the reason I was planning to go for a external database is to better manage the stability of the database as it grows. Since I'm new to the product does query performance degrade as the database grows. I envision that around 500 - 1000 entries will be added to a particular table per month. Signatures are not really required for reporting purposes so they will be excluded from the eventual SQL statements.

• 3. Re: Using MYSQL as external database
              wimdecorte

With that few entries per month (up to 12,000 records per year) you will actually degrading performance by storing it in MySQL.  The FileMaker db engine is more than capable of handling large numbers of records.

Your slowdown will come in the translation of the FM actions back to MySQL.  Not by storing a few hundred thousand records in FM itself.

• 4. Re: Using MYSQL as external database
                stiflermt

Thanks much appreciated, full FM solution it is