12 Replies Latest reply on Nov 16, 2015 5:59 AM by dtcgnet

Keep Parts together

MikeWile

I have a report that has 2 parts. The first part is always a single line. Is there a way to always keep this with the next part like you can with the "keep part together" when saved as PDF? The report is 34 pages long and there are about 9 single lines on one page and the second part on another. I'd rather have short pages than split parts.

• 1. Re: Keep Parts together
          dtcgnet

Can you attach screen shots of the layout in question, once in Preview mode and once in Layout mode? In the meantime, you can go into Layout mode, then into Part Setup from the Layouts menu. Double click on a part, and you'll see some options for managing page breaks.

• 2. Re: Keep Parts together
            MikeWile

Thanks for the reply. I've already gone into the part setup. That's where I unchecked "Allow part to break across page boundaries." What I'd like to do is keep the first Sub-Summary part with the second Sub-Summary part. Similar to the way you can set Keep All Lines Together for one style in InDesign and set a head to Keep with Next Line.

• 3. Re: Keep Parts together
              dtcgnet

Check the option for "allow part to break across page boundaries". Without that option being checked, fields that cover parts of two pages start on the second page, which is probably why the remainder of your first page is blank so often. By allowing that part to break, FM should go ahead and use some of the space that remains after your first part prints.

• 4. Re: Keep Parts together
                keywords

It's not entirely clear what you are getting, which is why a screenshot of your layout could help, or even the file itself, minus data. If you mean that there are two sub summary parts that follow one another (i.e. part one then part two, then another part one and another part two, etc), and what you are getting is all of part one (9 single lines on one page) followed by all of part two, it may be that you don't have the file sorted correctly. Sorting is generally from inside to outside for reports, so you would need to sort part two, then part one I suspect. I am assuming you mean your report should contain 9 part ones each followed by its corresponding part two.

As far as page breaks are concerned, you would probably set both parts to allow part to break across page boundaries, but then set part one to always start on a new page.

• 5. Re: Keep Parts together
                  PeterDoern

I know exactly what you're trying to accomplish, which is something I've longed for myself: to prevent orphaned parts from appearing by themselves; conversely, to link two parts together so that they always appear together on the same page.

Unfortunately, there's no native way to do that using FileMaker's subsummary parts; in situations like this I tend to build reports using scripting and a virtual table.

Since you've reminded me of this particular pain point, I'm adding it to the Product Ideas space elsewhere on this site.

• 6. Re: Keep Parts together
                    MikeWile

I've attached a screenshot. The item in the blue line should appear with the text on the next page.

PageBreak.png

• 7. Re: Keep Parts together
                      alquimby

It is possible to prevent orphaned parts in FileMaker. In the attached go to the "Report" layout and you will see it is a 3-page report with one month and its body part per page. The "Report 2" layout is all 3 months on one page. The difference is this: The "Report" layout has 2 sub-summary parts that sort by the Month Number field, one above the body and one below the body. (The one below the body is very narrow.) All you have to do is set the one below the body to "Page break after every 1 occurrence."

Al Quimby

• 8. Re: Keep Parts together
                        PeterDoern

True, but the trade off is that you're forcing a page break when you don't necessarily want one.

• 9. Re: Keep Parts together
                          MikeWile

Yes. I could set a page break before the sub-summary part with the blue line but that would create records with only 2 lines per page sometimes.

• 10. Re: Keep Parts together
                            alquimby

Your first post said "I'd rather have short pages than split parts." Unless every sub-summary grouping has an equal number of records, you will have some uneven pages. Try "Page break after every 2 occurrences" to see if things fit. Or you could try concatenating the fields that go in your body part and put that one calculated field in the body.

Al Quimby

• 11. Re: Keep Parts together
                              MikeWile

I meant that if I had to move the 1 line to the next page and have the current page run short, that would be ok. I don't want to put every part on its own page. Most of the second parts have 3 to 6 lines but there are some that have 1 line, 3 in a row. That would give me 3 pages with 2 lines total. There are 167 sub-summary part 1 records. That would give 167 pages. Right now I have 32 pages. I'll try the Break after every 2 occurrences and see how many that gives. I still wish that FileMaker had a "Keep with Next" option.

• 12. Re: Keep Parts together
                                dtcgnet

Having a screenshot of the layout in Layout mode would be helpful. Also, double check your part setup. It is possible that you've mixed "Leading" and "Trailing" summaries in a way that is contributing to the page breaks. Sometimes, a picture really is worth 1000 words.