7 Replies Latest reply on Feb 9, 2016 9:34 AM by steveromig

Send mail via email client error

adim

Dear all

When I use the script SEND MAIL VIA EMAIL CLIENT to a group of people with an attachment, if I use the NO DIALOG option the attachment will not be attached to the sent emails, if I do not use the No DIALOG option the attachment is there when the emails open in the email client app.

I use FMP14.04 and FMS14.04 on OSX10.11.

Any idea why?

A

• 1. Re: Send mail via email client error
          keywords

Try adding in a pause in the script, probably before the send email step. I think I remember previous threads where this kind of issue arose and pausing the script solved the problem. I think it's because you create the PDF, then send it, but the script runs on to the send step before the OS catches up.

• 2. Re: Send mail via email client error
            adim

Thank you but that did not help... The file, may it be a PDF of JPEG, is already ready.

I think it may be an issue with Apple Mail but I don't have Outlook to test it.

AdiM

• 3. Re: Send mail via email client error
              atthegollop

Like you, I send e-mails to membership lists, usually with pdf attachments, and have been doing so without problems for 3 years.  I'm using OSX El Capitan v10.11.1, but am still using FMP 12.0 v5.  Yesterday I had a similar problem to you, with e-mails going out without the attachment.  Tried with both my iMac and also Macbook Air.

Only thing to have changed since last mailing was upgrading the OS from Yosemite.

Anyone any thoughts?

John

• 4. Re: Send mail via email client error
                adim

Thanks for your input... I also have a feeling that it is a bug associated with 10.11.x.

AdiM

• 5. Re: Send mail via email client error
                  bmagargal

I am now having the same problem with a solution that has worked for several years. I tried adding pauses before and after the email function, up to 10 seconds, and it did not work. I was able to send an attached file when I disabled the "perform without dialog" checkbox, i.e. essentially a manual operation. Really a drag.

I just got a new iMac 27" retina display and upgraded to El Capitan. I am using FM Pro Advanced 13.0v9 with Mac OS-X 10.11.2. I too am guessing it is a problem with the new Mac OS-X. Any other ideas would be appreciated.

• 6. Re: Send mail via email client error
                    thornburg

First thing -- it appears that the "get (desktop path)" and similar now return with a trailing slash, which they didn't before.  I believe this change occurred with a MacOS upgrade.

Removing the slash I was manually adding to the path (& "/") fixed it. 

Unfortunately I've got another one that's telling me it can't attach the file, even though the export works using the exact same $path variable in the immediately previous step.

I'm lost on this one, as it's basically an exact clone of the one that works.

• 7. Re: Send mail via email client error
                      steveromig

Dear all

When I use the script SEND MAIL VIA EMAIL CLIENT to a group of people with an attachment, if I use the NO DIALOG option the attachment will not be attached to the sent emails, if I do not use the No DIALOG option the attachment is there when the emails open in the email client app.

I use FMP14.04 and FMS14.04 on OSX10.11.

Any idea why?

A

This is a known issue

http://help.filemaker.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/15187

You have already discovered one of the workaround and that is using the mail dialog to send the e-mail.  Another workaround is to use SMTP to send e-mail out.

Steve Romig

FileMaker, Inc.