7 Replies Latest reply on Jan 18, 2017 9:16 AM by TSGal

Filemaker Pro 14.0.4 and El Capitan 11.1 send mail problem

JimFolk

We just recently upgraded to El Capitan 11.1 and Filemaker Pro 14 yesterday. Conversion of older FMP files worked smoothly but we now have a problem sending emails using the Send Mail script. When we execute the Send Mail script, we are taken to Outlook 2011 but no email is created.

Is this a known problem and is there a fix available?

Any help is appreciated.

Thanks.

• 1. Re: Filemaker Pro 14.0.4 and El Capitan 11.1 send mail problem
          Benjamin Fehr

I assume that you use Outlook as your default Mail app.

If you use Apple Mail instead, the SendMail script would probably work, beside the known issue that attachments don't work currently.

It appears that Mac El Capitan has a issue with Outlook the kind of we saw with Apple Mail with some Mac 11.1 beta releases.

How does Outlook behave when check / uncheck the SendMail option [X] without Dialog ?

TS,

I wonder how Mac OS decides wether to perform this script with Outlook OR Apple Mail.

With any files with Mac OS, we have the Option to select, GetInfo, and determine to "always open with".

Saving a Mail file from Outlook to the desktop to determine to "always open with Apple Mail" for this kind of file could lead to the work around where Outlook stays as the default mail application but SendMail script with FMP would perform this task via Apple Mail.

Any thoughts on this?

• 2. Re: Filemaker Pro 14.0.4 and El Capitan 11.1 send mail problem
            Fred(CH)

Hi efficientbizz,

I am not "TS" but…

If you open Apple Mail and then go to File > Preferences, General tab, aren't you able to change the default mail app ?

efficientbizz a écrit:

TS,

I wonder how Mac OS decides wether to perform this script with Outlook OR Apple Mail.

With any files with Mac OS, we have the Option to select, GetInfo, and determine to "always open with".

Saving a Mail file from Outlook to the desktop to determine to "always open with Apple Mail" for this kind of file could lead to the work around where Outlook stays as the default mail application but SendMail script with FMP would perform this task via Apple Mail.

Any thoughts on this?

• 3. Re: Filemaker Pro 14.0.4 and El Capitan 11.1 send mail problem
              Benjamin Fehr

Ah

Though we don't gonna need the usual toolbox, ha, ha. This could lead to a useful work around. the bad thing is that this outlook fail is rather a Apple Inc. issue than a FMP bug.Gaffer_WD40.jpg

• 4. Re: Filemaker Pro 14.0.4 and El Capitan 11.1 send mail problem
                JimFolk

Thank you both for your replies. They were helpful.

First, the "Perform without dialogue" option checked or unchecked didn't make any difference.

Second, based on your suggestions, we opened Mail, set it as the default application but left Outlook set as the default application, as well. For some reason, this worked. Now, when we select a 'send mail' function, the email is composed and presented in Outlook to edit before sending (or sent automatically when the "Perform without dialogue" option is selected).

I know this isn't ideal, but it will work until the OS bug is fixed.

Thanks again for your help. This was a major issue for us as many of our routines trigger automated emails.

Have a great Sunday!

Jim

• 5. Re: Filemaker Pro 14.0.4 and El Capitan 11.1 send mail problem
                  Benjamin Fehr

thanks too.

From your experiences, we and everybody else here now knows that

- there's a Mac issue with Outlook AND even option 'without Dialog' would help

- Default Application for Mail (and I think for Browser as well) has to be set within applications preferences (thanks to Fred(CH))

- and we'll find out that any Apple issue with in-house products (Apple Mail AND FM) will be fixed much sooner than any issue with a 3.party product as Outlook from Microsoft

I'ld recommend to try to send this report to Apple Inc. though this gets recognized. Unfortunately, reporting issues to Apple Inc. isn't as easy as with FMI

• 6. Re: Filemaker Pro 14.0.4 and El Capitan 11.1 send mail problem
                    TSGal

JimFolk:

Thank you for your posts.

As mentioned by others, our Development and Testing departments are aware of this issue under Mac OS X 10.11.x.  This issue does not occur under Mac OS X 10.10 and earlier.  I have attached your post to the original report.  When more information becomes available, I will let you know.

TSGal

FileMaker, Inc.

• 7. Re: Filemaker Pro 14.0.4 and El Capitan 11.1 send mail problem
                      TSGal

JimFolk:

This issue has been addressed in FileMaker Pro 15.0.3.

TSGal

FileMaker, Inc.