1 2 3 Previous Next 30 Replies Latest reply on Sep 27, 2016 8:32 AM by TSGal

Surface Pro 4 / Windows 10 Unresponsive

GeorgeChristiana

Product and version: FileMaker Pro 14.0.4 and Filemaker Pro Advanced 14.0.4

OS and version:  Windows 10, with latest updates as of 11/15/2015, running on Surface Pro 4 (i5 with 8 g of ram).

Browser and version: n/a

Description: Filemaker becomes unresponsive / unusable (screen refresh lags and garbled screen).

How to replicate:  Open any solution, including packaged starter solutions.  Click a fewtimes on any tab or window.  Usually within the second or third click the issues start to happen.  On a few of my solutions, the first screen won't even load fully.

Workaround:  I read earlier threads regarding tablets and older versions of Windows which revolved around an issue of Windows tablet mode screen zoom.  I attempted to set my default zoom to 100% as recommended and that did not help.

Also worth mentioning is that the tool bar (file edit, etc..) is completely scaled wrong.  Too small and with no padding between items.  This happens in all zoom modes.

Screen shot taken after three clicks in the starter solution (Content Management) on a clean install of filemaker pro. Windows zoom set to 100%.   Notice the refresh that locked in place (over 5 minutes) on bottom right.  And sizing of inner window controls on upper right. 

Screen Shot 2015-11-16 at 9.13.45 AM.png

• 1. Re: Surface Pro 4 / Windows 10 Unresponsive
          TSGal

GeorgeChristiana:

Thank you for your post and screen shot.

I have only seen this issue occur when the screen display is set at 125% on a Surface Pro 3 running Windows 8.1.

I currently don't have access to a Surface Pro 4, so before I send this to Development and Testing, please post a screen shot of Settings -> System -> Display to verify the Surface Pro 4 is set for 100% display.

TSGal

FileMaker, Inc.

• 2. Re: Surface Pro 4 / Windows 10 Unresponsive
            GeorgeChristiana

Thank you for the followup!  Here are two screenshots.  One in layout mode, which is completely unusable.  And the second in the same layout as before.  Less garbled, but still frozen and non updating on the lower portion. 

Screen options off to the right in the screen cap.  Zoom set to 100%.  And yes, I confirmed the same after a full restart. 

So I did some more troubleshoooting.  Turns out if you cycle it to 100% and then back to 200% a few times, it will start working.  Even the menu bar will look right and work at 100% or 200%.  But then on the next startup, it will break again even at 100% from startup without change.  It also seems to get tripped up with a "pen hover".  That's when the screen usually goes nuts. 

Worth mentioning in the limited time it did work at all, is that the keyboard pop does not work when entering fields, as well as a few other minor annoyance.  It seems like the entire Surface Pro integration is a miss.  Which is unfortunate, because it is a terrific platform.  One that Filemaker should embrace.Untitled picture1.jpgUntitled picture.jpg

1 of 1 people found this helpful
            • 3. Re: Surface Pro 4 / Windows 10 Unresponsive
              TSGal

GeorgeChristiana:

Thank you for the verification and additional observations.

I have sent all information, including the screen shots, to our Development and Testing teams for review.  When I receive any feedback, I will let you know.

TSGal

FileMaker, Inc.

• 4. Re: Surface Pro 4 / Windows 10 Unresponsive
                TimSingles

I am having the same issue with the small buttons and page refresh on my Surface Pro 4. Hardware is the same, Pro 4, i5, 8g of ram, 256 HD. Same version of FMPA 14.0.4. I have been able to reduce the page refresh problem by keeping the zoom level at 200% and the resolution at the recommended setting. At any other setting the window only paints in sections of the database.

However I have not been able to resolve the issue in layout mode where the buttons on the top middle are very small, almost unusable. None of the changes to any settings helps.

Also in browse mode any text in drop down boxes are also very small. After you make the selection the test is displayed at the normal size in the field.

dropbox.png

small button.png

• 5. Re: Surface Pro 4 / Windows 10 Unresponsive
                  TSGal

TimSingles:

Thank you for your post and screen shots.  I have attached everything to the original report.  At this time, Testing and Development only have access to a Surface Pro 3.  When more information becomes available, I will post again.

TSGal

FileMaker, Inc.

• 6. Re: Surface Pro 4 / Windows 10 Unresponsive
                    TSGal

TimSingles:

Testing cannot replicate the Refresh issue with a Surface Pro 3 under Windows 10.  Testing can only replicate the small icons issue if the Windows screen display is set to anything other than 100%.

Do you have access to a Surface Pro 3?  If so, can you verify that the issue does not occur?

TSGal

FileMaker, Inc.

• 7. Re: Surface Pro 4 / Windows 10 Unresponsive
                      TimSingles

Sorry, I only have access to a SP2 and a SP4. I don't recall seeing any issues with the SP2.

If I keep my resolution at the recommended setting and the zoom at 200 % I don't see a refresh problems. Anything other than 200% does cause a problem.

My biggest issue now are the very small text in browse mode and the tiny buttons in layout .

Thank you for looking into these issues.

Maybe Santa will bring a SP4 for Christmas. It is a very good machine and I'm sure other FM users will be using them.

Tin

Sent from my iPhone

• 8. Re: Surface Pro 4 / Windows 10 Unresponsive
                        TSGal

TimSingles:

On my Windows 10 computer, I only have 100% and 125% display options.  I want to make sure your display settings are set to 100%.  I'm assuming the 200% zoom is within FileMaker Pro.  Can you clarify/verify?

No problem not having a Surface Pro 3.  Since our Testing department couldn't reproduce, I just wanted to be sure this was a Surface Pro 4 issue and not a file issue.

TSGal

FileMaker, Inc.

• 9. Re: Surface Pro 4 / Windows 10 Unresponsive
                          GeorgeChristiana

TsGal,

I did confirm earlier that even at 100% you get the same issues you mentioned as evident above.

FWIW, even if it DID work at 100% resolution, FileMaker would STILL be unusable on a Surface pro 4 due to resolution and screen size. Look at my screen shots above. At 100%, the entire title bar down to the content is less than a quarter of an inch high.  You would need a magnifying glass to do anything productive.  Even with a tablet pen and some careful clicking.

Even if you up sized your layout content, the native FileMaker menus, window controls, and scroll downs would be unusably small.

THe the fact is that if FileMaker doesn't work with Windows 10 zoom / continuoum, FileMaker doesn't work on the SP4. Reasonably anyway. Which is upsetting. Considering I am currently trying to implement a cross platform solution and get my users off of ipads and on to full versions of filemaker.

--George

• 10. Re: Surface Pro 4 / Windows 10 Unresponsive
                            TimSingles

Sorry for the confusion. The zoom level is on the surface. Windows 10, settings, display.  200% is the recommendation.  FMP zoom always at 100. When I change the the Windows zoom to anything other that 200% FMP will not display correctly.

Sent from my iPhone

• 11. Re: Surface Pro 4 / Windows 10 Unresponsive
                              GeorgeChristiana

Also, Tim, on an unrelated note, we should talk about your content In your screen shot!  It looks as if we are in the same line of work!    And you spelled 'incident' in incident energy wrong. ;-)

• 12. Re: Surface Pro 4 / Windows 10 Unresponsive
                                TimSingles

If it's easier, contact my privately and I'll give you my phone number so I can show you my screen

Sent from my iPhone

• 13. Re: Surface Pro 4 / Windows 10 Unresponsive
                                  TimSingles

My data is an equipment database for a power generation company. I'm an electrical foreman by trade but like to use FMP to keep track of my equipment.

The surface is a great tool to use out in the plant and take to meetings.

Sent from my iPhone

• 14. Re: Surface Pro 4 / Windows 10 Unresponsive
                                    TSGal

TimSingles:

Thanks for the confirmation.

There are several issues with Windows (all versions) when the Display settings are something other than 100%.  The small icons are typical of larger display settings.

If you set the Display settings at 100% and FileMaker Zoom settings at 200%, does the issue occur?

TSGal

FileMaker, Inc.

1 2 3 Previous Next