Because my original question was not properly asked (I used the term interactive portal) , I am resubmitting the issue to get the community to assist us! Other developers have had this problem years and most of their issues have gone unanswered! Here is our setup...
- We are using FileMaker Pro 14 server with Windows 2008 Server. All computers are hard wired to a network switch
- All clients are using either Filemaker 13 or 13 Advanced (13.05)
- Workstations are either Windows 7 Home/Professional, W8.1 or Mac OSX 10.9+
- Interactive container are set to external storage
- PDFs are dragged into the container from the desktop. They appear in the correct folder on the server
- PDFs do not interact ON ANY PLATFORM. They do NOT appear in the field. These fields are NOT in a portal. Multiple files using the same design do NOT show the PDFs. They do NOT appear at all, even in a separate Acrobat Reader window.
- The contents of these same container fields can be exported and then properly viewed in a webviewer pointing to the exported file in the temp folder, which means the webkit for the operating system is operational for the version of Acrobat Reader installed.
- Many times, after waiting for the container field to "interact", a message says, "The webpage 192.168.1.100 did not respond" or something like that.
- This is being used only on a LAN with all firewalls either properly set for inbound and outbound traffic or many times turned off all together!
No matter what we do ... uninstall ... reinstall Acrobat Reader for any of the above mentioned platforms we cannot get the Interactive container fields to properly show the PDFs. From what I can see, this has been an issue with all recent versions of FileMaker, yet there is no published fix.
What needs to be fixed for there to be consistent functionality of interactive container fields across all platforms?
Scott Zeigen MD