1 2 3 Previous Next 67 Replies Latest reply on May 9, 2017 8:07 AM by TSGal

Solution with many styles slows down to the point of unresponsiveness

jgill@occu-med.com

Product and version:

FileMaker Pro Advanced Version 14.0.3

OS and version:

Mac OS X El Capitan 10.11.1

Description:

I have a solution that currently has around 200 custom styles contained within 3 separate themes and have noticed that FMPA will, over the course of the day, become more and more unresponsive to content loading into the 'Style' portion of the Inspector.

Because the Inspector loads object states every time you click on an object, this leads to FileMaker constantly pinwheeling while it loads the Styles into the Inspector.  Eventually it gets so bad that it takes around 5-10 seconds just to click on any object within the solution.

Restarting FileMaker Pro Advanced instantly solves the issue.  (At least for a few hours...)

How to replicate

Click on any object on a layout while in Layout Mode after FileMaker Pro Advanced has been open for more than 6 hours or so (at least in my solution...your results may vary)

Workaround

Restart FileMaker Pro Advanced.

• 1. Re: Solution with many styles slows down to the point of unresponsiveness
          Markus Schneider

is there the same behavior under 14.04? If so, styles are just useless concerning speed )-:

I realized that the classic theme is the fastest - calculating is about 50% faster with one of the new themes, but there, we're talking about 5-10 milliseconds.. no one will recognize that. On the other hand, drawing ('rendering') with a new theme is remarkable slower than the classic theme.

we migrated a solution that was created last year under V11 to V14 under Windows 8.1 (with a 'industrial' hardware, means weak when it comes to graphics card), spent quite some time to test one of the layouts with an own theme, own styles - resulting in slower handling, really slower handling...

• 2. Re: Solution with many styles slows down to the point of unresponsiveness
            TSGal

jgill:

Thank you for your post.

Development and Testing would like a clone of your solution for testing.  I have sent you a private message with instructions where to send the file.

TSGal

FileMaker, Inc.

• 3. Re: Solution with many styles slows down to the point of unresponsiveness
              jgill@occu-med.com

I hope you're referring to how quickly it loads in the inspector, because the Original theme is most certainly NOT the quickest theme.  In fact, it is by far and away the slowest to render because it uses custom styles on every object on a layout.

Unless there is a 'Custom' Theme I'm not aware of.

• 4. Re: Solution with many styles slows down to the point of unresponsiveness
                jgill@occu-med.com

Ok, try this link

<Link sent privately>

Thank you,

James Gill

• 5. Re: Solution with many styles slows down to the point of unresponsiveness
                  TSGal

jgill:

I downloaded your file.  Thank you.

The file asks for credentials.  Either send me a private message with the username/password information, or put another clone of the file on the Google drive with automatic [Full Access] privileges.

TSGal

FileMaker, Inc.

• 6. Re: Solution with many styles slows down to the point of unresponsiveness
                    jgill@occu-med.com

Hi,

<Username and password sent privately>

Also, I forgot to list the layout where I encountered this most recently.

All of the layouts listed under <layouts sent privately>

Thank you,

James Gill

• 7. Re: Solution with many styles slows down to the point of unresponsiveness
                      TSGal

jgill:

Thank you for the information.  I have sent everything to our Development and Testing teams for review.  When I receive any feedback, I will let you know.

TSGal

FileMaker, Inc.

• 8. Re: Solution with many styles slows down to the point of unresponsiveness
                        jgill@occu-med.com

I was unaware that this information was going to the list and was publicly

viewable.  Can you please remove the entire communication chain starting

with the link to DL the file?

Thank you,

James Gill

• 9. Re: Solution with many styles slows down to the point of unresponsiveness
                          TSGal

jgill:

All file information and personal information has been removed from preceding posts.

TSGal

FileMaker, Inc.

• 10. Re: Solution with many styles slows down to the point of unresponsiveness
                            jgill@occu-med.com

Thank you.  You might want to have the Customer Service team look into this, because I sent the DL link via email to your private message and somehow it ended up on this discussion.

• 11. Re: Solution with many styles slows down to the point of unresponsiveness
                              HazMatt

Oh my gosh…  I am so glad this is getting some attention!!

I have been the primary developer on a rewrite of our flagship product… making heavy use of themes and styles.  We have 5 custom themes (based on the Enlightened theme):  two for "Pro", two for "touch" and one for print.

My experience has been the same…  Designing in Layout Mode is snappy at first, then becomes unusable after a few or several hours of work.  Selecting objects…  Shift-selecting two or more objects…  Dragging a rectangle to select objects…  Double-clicking on buttons…  Double-clicking into text boxes…  Dragging elements around…  All of these things became agonizing tasks as FileMaker slowly churned and chugged away.  It seemed to decelerate faster the more I worked in Layout Mode.  Quitting FileMaker and reopening solved the issue, temporarily.

I seemed to be the only one who experienced this out of our office of 4 other developers; I am fairly certain that it is because of our work habits (I probably do the most layout work out of the group).  I have experienced this problem on FileMaker 13 and all versions of 14 (up to 14.0v4).  I have had this problem on Mavericks, Yosemite and The Cap'n.  I've created new OS X accounts and even reinstalled OS X from scratch in hopes of resolving this issue.

Now it all makes sense that it's the theme's styles that are to blame.  Please, please fix this!!!

• 12. Re: Solution with many styles slows down to the point of unresponsiveness
                                Markus Schneider

IMHO that 'themes/styles' thing is not finished yet - and in my gut feeling, I believe that it makes no sense to invest much time...

- no administration tool (rename, list, popup/history when defining styles (who knows all the names?), much more

- s l o o o w rendering, classic is the fastest theme when it comes to user-feelings (Windows 8.1, 14.03)

- still not all elements are 'styled', ie the new button bar with icons, etc.

- with an own theme with own styles, switching to another theme and back to the own one will (logically, but annoying anyways) not work

- if one wants to implement styles, heshe had/has to rewrite a solution for V12, for V13, for V14... who pays that? Customers?

slowing down the developement always includes the risk of destroying something, when things become that slow with a lot of styles - reminds me of FM12 and the define database windows, when typing became slow motion

that said, I still think that styles are the way to go

• 13. Re: Solution with many styles slows down to the point of unresponsiveness
                                  jgill@occu-med.com

I feel like something needs to be clarified because I keep seeing it get repeated. 

When I hear, "the classic theme is the fastest", I assume you guys mean that it's the fastest to load in the Inspector.  If what you're actually saying is that it's the fastest to render while in browse mode (aka from a users perspective of rendering layouts) than I feel like you need to back these claims up.  Every single discussion I've seen regarding themes and performance has showed that Styled Objects are by far and away faster and cheaper to render because of the internally stored CSS used to style the Object.

Do you mean that the 'Classic' Theme itself is faster to render using (default) objects than one of the other default themes?

• 14. Re: Solution with many styles slows down to the point of unresponsiveness
                                    Markus Schneider

Yes, from the user's perspective, inspector _was_ getting slower when adding custom styles to a theme in layout mode, although I did not pay much attention to that. There were not so many styles, not so many objects in the layout.

A layout with styles was calculated faster, 20ms instead of 25-30ms (means up to 50% faster) - but milliseconds are milliseconds... The time was measured in a script that called a layout (identical when it comes to the content of the layout, one time classic, one time own theme with styled objects) - but the time until a user could keep on working was longer, means the time to draw/render a layout.

The task was to switch to a specific layout to enter data. Users had to wait a bit in 14 until they could enter data compared to the V11 version (V11 was created under V11, single file system, anchor buoy)

Since no one of the default themes fits the wishes/needs, we created a custom theme. I also joined quite a few discussions/sessions concerning themes ('never use the classic theme') - therefore I created that custom theme for benchmarks.

I compared V11 with V14 on the same hardware, same network, same data. V11 and V14 did not differ much - would never be a problem from the user's perspective - but after comparing the custom theme in V14 with the V11, users complained. I did not delete the 'classic' layout - and when comparing the classic layout in V14 with the V11, it was about the same speed again.

It will depend on the way a solution is built - when one can use one of the FileMaker's themes, things could be different - but with the solution we tested, the classic themes were faster. I was disapointed...

There _are_ tasks where V14 is faster (printing..) and besides of this layout-benchmark, the V14 solution looks promising - but dealing with themes did not pay back the efforts

1 2 3 Previous Next