13 Replies Latest reply on Nov 17, 2015 7:43 PM by user19752

remove items in Launch Center

Tom_Droz

How can you remove an item in the left hand side of the Launch Center?   I don't see a way to do this?   More wasted time on a worthless feature to me :-(

• 1. Re: remove items in Launch Center
          TSPigeon

Thank you for your post.

Any "unfavorited" hosts should disappear over time. However, you can manually add and remove Hosts by going to File > Open Favorite > Manage Favorites... Working with favorite files and hosts has some information on this.

I hope this information is of use!

TSPigeon

FileMaker, Inc.

• 2. Re: remove items in Launch Center
            Tom_Droz

TSPigeon

That doesn't remove the item listed on the left, please refer to the image I provided

thanks

• 3. Re: remove items in Launch Center
              steveromig

How can you remove an item in the left hand side of the Launch Center?   I don't see a way to do this?   More wasted time on a worthless feature to me :-(

See if this other thread helps...

how to remove a host from filemaker 14  Launch center  ?

Steve Romig

FileMaker, Inc.

• 4. Re: remove items in Launch Center
                Tom_Droz

Here is what I have, 3 Tom-PC's showing (None of which I want)  Using FMA 14.4

Here is whats in Favorites

• 5. Re: remove items in Launch Center
                  dtcgnet

Tom, I have a similar thing going on.

It looks to me like this is what's going on, and it looks like it could be a real problem.

If you share a database on your LAN, and open it, then other computers on your LAN will pick up that that file has been shared. The file will be added to the Launch Center files you see when you use "Open Remote". The more different folders from which you open a database, the more instances of "Tom-PC" you'll see when you use Open Remote.

I'm on a Mac, so I can't say for sure that you'll see something like I'm seeing, but I opened databases in 3 separate folders on Dan1. From Dan2, I then used Open Remote. I had three instances of Dan1 just like you have three instances of Tom-PC.

If I try to open a file from the first instance of Dan1, it opens without a problem. If I open the same file from the second or third instance of Dan1, I get the message that I'm running too many copies of FM with the same serial number, but I'm not. I have two instances of FMA14 running, and each is individually licensed. FM crashes.

In my case, if I hover over each instance, I am shown:

Dan1: [fde3:7c4d:7e87:21f7:bc4c:c4c2:d152:7450]

Dan2: 10.0.1.18

One refers to the IP address of Dan1. The other refers to something else. In my case, every time I try to open a file from anything OTHER than the first instance of Dan1, my FM crashes.

Are you getting somewhat similar behavior?

• 6. Re: remove items in Launch Center
                    Tom_Droz

dtcgnet

I don't share my computer files with any other computer.  I do access to remote servers however.

Starting yesterday I can no longer access "ShiftPoint" from the Launch center.  It asks for my password but then will not display the files.  I have selected "Show all files"

If I use "Open Favorites" it then will allow me to access the files

As to the Network file path I have similar fmnet:/[2601:582:4005:c902:2965:203f:3b5a:6217]/

I have never open a file via the 3 TOM-PC's

Just to vent.... This feature sucks!

• 7. Re: remove items in Launch Center
                      dtcgnet

From what I'm seeing, it's definitely odd. This is reproducible, at least for me and on a Mac.

1) FileMaker peer to peer sharing enabled. Launch FM 14 from the application menu or the dock. Close the launcher menu that first appears by clicking "Done".

2) Go to File, Open Remote. You will see the names of your favorite hosts. Your computer name won't appear. You'll see only names of hosts you've added as favorites. Click "Done" without selecting a database.

3) Open a database on your computer. Leave it open.

4) Go to File, Open Remote. You will see multiple instances of your computer listed. Each will show the same database(s). The first time I do this sequence, I see either two or three instances of my computer.

5) Click "Done" without opening a database. The original database you opened remains open.

6) File, Open Remote again. Your results will show two or more instances of your computer. Sometimes, two instances, sometimes three. When it gets to showing three, it won't increase, nor will it decrease until you quit and restart FileMaker.

Give it a shot and see if you can reproduce that. I've done it over and over, and it keeps coming up the same.

• 8. Re: remove items in Launch Center
                        user19752

I think you have 3 network interfaces, or use both IPv4 and IPv6 on the mac.

See the result of typing ifconfig on terminal.

• 9. Re: remove items in Launch Center
                          dtcgnet

I opened FileMaker. Saw this. Clicked Done and didn't open any databases. Quit.
                          Initial Launch Center_No DB opened.tiff

I used File: Open and opened a database on my computer, sharing enabled. Then used "Open Remote". Note that NOW I see two instances of Dan's_MBP. I clicked Done without opening anything else. Still had the original database open. Used "Open Remote".

MB after open on computer.tiff

But after a while, if you use Open Remote again, you'll see a third instance of your computer.

Third open without opening.tiff

This is definitely not good behavior. All I did was use Open Remote and click done without doing anything.

• 10. Re: remove items in Launch Center
                            dtcgnet

What should I look for in the ifconfig results? I'm in over my head there.

It bothers me that if I:

Invoke the open command but close without doing anything.

Invoke it again, again without doing anything.

I get different results in the hosts that are shown. Open, close. Open, close. Different hosts get shown. It just seems odd.

• 11. Re: remove items in Launch Center
                              Tom_Droz

Dan

Im on windows, did a restart and the files displays correct

Then, like you, click on the open command and now this

This started recently (maybe w v4?)  Plus I can no longer open remote favorite files through the launch center

• 12. Re: remove items in Launch Center
                                dtcgnet

Repeat the open a few times. Don't bother opening anything. Do you get up to three instances of Tom PC?

• 13. Re: remove items in Launch Center
                                  user19752

The lines starting with "inet" show IPv4 address, then you can see how many addresses do you have.

I defined a favorite as "localhost" IP address, then when open a file with shared, I see another host as "unfavorite". But these both work with no problem, not the same issue you have.

Sorry I don't have any fix/workaround for the bug.

I can say this as bug, since I know FM use Bonjour, it should be zero-config on user's side.