1 of 1 people found this helpful
If your grade cutoffs are not going to change between reporting periods or for different subjects then you could hard code the QTR grade as a calculated field with the following calc:
Qtr total > 90 ; "A" ;
Qtr total > 80 ; "B" ;
Hadn't thought of that. Is there a way to use a table? I'd like to be able to change it if need be, though I could just go back into the calculation to do it I suppose.
There's no easy way to create a field that is a range of values is there?
I'd like to be able to change it if need be,
That's a key point. Here's a few thoughts.
1. Are you keeping a new record for each student for each reporting period? Important for historical data.
2. Create records in your grade values table with 4 fields - grade descriptor eg. "A", grade upper value, grade lower value and a reporting period ID (to distinguish these grade values from ones you might use in Qtr 1 2016).
3. Make sure all your student reporting records have the reporting period ID.
4. Create a relationship to the grade values table based on the reporting period, qtr total and the upper and lower grade values (see screenshot)
5. Make your Qtr Grade a calc to the grade field on the grades value list.
Hope this helps.