3 Replies Latest reply on Nov 19, 2015 7:33 PM by user19752

Message in email.

arkvys

Hello,

I use Filemaker Pro 14, Windows 7. Trying to use the message part of email, to send a message containing Merge Fields, but the message arrives, containing the fields names, rather than the data. I've used Calculated Data option, and sending my email using SMTP. Is there a way to use Merge or Variable in the message box?

Thank you.

• 1. Re: Message in email.
          steveromig

Hello,

I use Filemaker Pro 14, Windows 7. Trying to use the message part of email, to send a message containing Merge Fields, but the message arrives, containing the fields names, rather than the data. I've used Calculated Data option, and sending my email using SMTP. Is there a way to use Merge or Variable in the message box?

Thank you.

Sounds like, perhaps, you either a) typed directly into the "message" field in the SEND MAIL dialog box or b) added the merge fields to your calculations by encapsulating them in quotes.  Neither one of these methods will produce the results you are looking for I think.

Keep in mind that merge fields are really only useful on layouts themselves and you'd want to use actual field names if you are building a calculation that would be part of a message / email.  For example...

"Dear " & Name & "¶¶" &

"You are confirmed for class " & Class & " at " & Time & "."

Allows you to use data from your solution along with static text.  It is FileMaker Pro's equivalent of a mail merge so to speak.

Steve Romig

FileMaker, Inc.

1 of 1 people found this helpful
          • 2. Re: Message in email.
            arkvys

Thank you Steve. This worked perfectly!!!

• 3. Re: Message in email.
              user19752

I want his answer to be marked as "correct answer" if it worked perfectly, so that I can skip the threads already solved.