6 Replies Latest reply on Nov 23, 2015 3:49 AM by coherentkris

Move Record

TobyGross

I have created a record and would like to move it to a different layout how would be the best way to do it?

Thanks,

• 1. Re: Move Record
          user19752

Record is saved in table, not in layout. So you don't need to move it if the different layout is based on same table.

• 2. Re: Move Record
            coherentkris

Saying that you need to move a record from layout A to layout B shows that you should really start working through the FileMaker Training Series to better understand how FileMaker works. Or, at a minimum, go to wikipedia and read up on relational databases.

• 3. Re: Move Record
              TobyGross

I have an auto inventory database works good I have a layout for trucks and a layout for pickups, if I sell a pickup or a truck I would like to move it to the sold layout with a push of a button..

• 4. Re: Move Record
                coherentkris

Not to be redundant or irritate you but saying move a record from one layout to another does not provide anyone with enough information to answer your question. A layout is based on ANY single Table Occurrence and a TO is based on one table but can show data from any associated TO in the relationships graph. You can have many TO's that reference the same table.  Layouts provide a GUI element into the data. You want to move data yet we don't know where you want to move from and to. In the simplest possible form you would have one table for vehicles and need only have a field in the vehicles table that marks the record as sold. But I am guessing that your structure is not in this form. In order to properly answer your question without wild guessing we need to know the entity/table structure. What table occurrence and table is the pickups layout based on? What table occurrence and table is the trucks layout based on?

• 5. Re: Move Record
                  Nehme

Thinking quickly, you have 2 ways of doing so.

Create a field named "Status" (for example) with auto-enter value on record creation "Available"

When you click the button to push your record, SetField [Status; "Sold"]

Then you can do it with one of those ways:

1- Go to layout and perform a find, when Status = "Sold"

2- Use a portal where you can filter you portal values using Status = "Sold"

Hope this helps

• 6. Re: Move Record
                    coherentkris

Yep that's what i said:

"In the simplest possible form you would have one table for vehicles and need only have a field in the vehicles table that marks the record as sold."