1 2 Previous Next 16 Replies Latest reply on Dec 4, 2015 3:01 PM by jbante

IT is time to have a "Set Active Field =" selectable comandante

francisco.renta@gmail.com

WE have all needed to have an easy way to set a field  to a given value to be as easy as the " Set Field" command!

TThe way it is implemented now is very confusing due to a conformative attitude of the person in charge of the FileMaker

programming group. This has been criticized many times for many years and it is always left unsolved as an issue of secondary

iimportance . If you have to fill out 100 or more fields on a given layout , it makes a big difference !

• 2. Re: IT is time to have a "Set Active Field =" selectable comandante
          siplus

Cmon, that's an easy one:

Set Field by Name [Get ( ActiveFieldTableName )& "::" & Get(ActiveFieldName); YourValueOrCalc ]

• 3. Re: IT is time to have a "Set Active Field =" selectable comandante

I am not saying that I do not know how to do it at present but it is CUMBERSOME , Not Elegant ! If you have to do it 100 or

more times it is not expeditious like set field command.

You have to go back to the layout and give each field a "Field Name" , you can not select the field from a drop-down listing like

you do with Set Field As command !

Many users get confused in the use of this sub-routine because of the need to separate the table and the field as a concatenation (including the "::" . ) and the need to  use the Field Name instead of the Table Field Name !

• 4. Re: IT is time to have a "Set Active Field =" selectable comandante

The Get(ActiveFieldName) is the confusing part and the name of the Table and Field should be also selectable from a drop down listing.

When used in a loop to run through all available fields each one at a time , you have to jump from one field to the other and

compare the name of the field to a value in a global variable. When the name of the field equals the value; of the variable , then you use that condition to set the field to a given value (could be an X for example, to flag a given field).

Example: I want to set a field on a map of homes in a community with an X for all owners that have paid or given a donation to a campaign. Or I want to set a location on a Theater Sitting Map as a sign that  the seat has being sold. Etc...

• 5. Re: IT is time to have a "Set Active Field =" selectable comandante
                Extensitech

Still... "huh?"

francisco.renta@gmail.com wrote:

Not Elegant ! If you have to do it 100 or more times it is not expeditious like set field command.

In what scenario are you having to use a scrip to set 100 or more fields?

You have to go back to the layout and give each field a "Field Name"

If you have a field, it already has a name.

you can not select the field from a drop-down listing like you do with Set Field As command !

"Set Field by Name" exists precisely because of the need to sometimes set a field based on a name not known until the script runs, instead of selecting the field from a drop-down. If you already know the exact field you want the script to set every time, why not just use "Set Field"?

Many users get confused in the use of this sub-routine because of the need to separate the table and the field as a concatenation (including the "::" . ) and the need to  use the Field Name instead of the Table Field Name !

In what scenario is the user (developer?) entering the name of the field to use in the Set Field by Name? If you're writing the script, and know exactly what field will always be selected, then you're using the wrong command. Use "Set Field". Are you asking the user to manually enter the field name, with a dialog, and then setting the named field via script? In what scenario is that useful?

You started off by saying

WE have all needed to have an easy way

As (presumably) part of the "WE", I'd say we already have an easy way, and that "we" are not experiencing the same difficulties you seem to be. What are you doing differently from the rest of us?

Chris Cain

Extensitech

• 6. Re: IT is time to have a "Set Active Field =" selectable comandante
                  BruceRobertson

As (presumably) part of the "WE", I'd say we already have an easy way, and that "we" are not experiencing the same difficulties you seem to be. What are you doing differently from the rest of us?

Chris Cain

Extensitech

Agreed. I can't see any point in this suggestion, and certainly don't recall any time when it was an issue at all, let alone an issue of any priority.

• 7. Re: IT is time to have a "Set Active Field =" selectable comandante

I guess you have never written a program that will be used to make reservations on a 1000 seats theater and show the sit

layout map of the theater that will visually tell you which seat is available and price range.

I flag the seat as being sold from the entry of the client record and seat selection (I use a script to do this). I have been successful in doing this a couple of times not only with theater seat layout but also with entire map of communities where the customer wanted to see the progress of collecting money from the community.

As I said before : Example: I want to set a field on a map of homes in a community with an X for all owners that have paid or given a donation to a campaign. Or I want to set a location on a Theater Sitting Map as a sign that  the seat has being sold. Etc...

Perhaps you want to give a suggestion on how would you do it with your expertise for the benefit of others ! Who knows, you may inspire us to think that you are truly very smart and can give us a short script to do this !

• 8. Re: IT is time to have a "Set Active Field =" selectable comandante
                      Extensitech

Can you post a script, some screenshots, something to let us know how you ended up here?

I would imagine, in the scenario you described, linking the seats or homes to payments, and calculating that "x" based on whether payment or donation has been made, rather than writing a script to do what a calculation could do.

Regardless, for "set field" or "set field by name", you're either setting the same field over and over (which means just use set field and select the field) or you're setting fields based on a name you determine by calculation (which means you would get your field name as the result of a calculation, and you could insert the fully qualified field name as the calculation result).

You're implying (I think) that you're ending up with an unqualified field name (no table name) at some point in your script and having to add the table name. If so, where is the field name coming from that you cannot easily grab the fully qualified name?

It also sounds like, perhaps, you have a user entering a field name in free text, to determine what field to set in a "set field by name". I simply cannot imagine where such a need would ever arise, so I need a little help here.

You're also referring to setting values "on a map". This may seem obvious to you (it sounds like you're pretty deep into this method) but the meaning of that isn't readily evident to me nor, I think, to most others on this forum.

I really do want to understand where you're running into this difficulty and why. Product ideas often seem strange when first suggested, until you figure out what problem they solve or what opportunities they create. So far, it just seems strange, so explain a little and help us get there. Either you can help us understand what it is you need and why, so we can get behind your product idea, or we can help you understand how you got yourself painted into an odd corner.

Chris Cain

Extensitech

• 9. Re: IT is time to have a "Set Active Field =" selectable comandante
                        siplus

So you have a table holding events and you reserve seats for it ?

How many seats do you have ? How are they organized ? Let's say 80 seats X  20 rows, YMMV.

In every event record define and use a repeating field Occupation (type: number) with let's say 2000 repetitions.

When somebody chooses a seat, set field Occupation[ line * 100 + seat] to UserID. Grow from this.

concretely, if user reserves the seat 25 in line 12, Occupation[1225] in record 412 will be set to 8192,

where 412 is the ID of the event and 8192 is the attendant's ID.

OR

Create related records in a LineItems table.

BUT

working with an array will be much faster and easier - you can cluster segments of the array on a layout and use conditional formatting to show occupied in red and free in green.

• 10. Re: IT is time to have a "Set Active Field =" selectable comandante
                          BruceRobertson

I guess you have never written a program that will be used to make reservations on a 1000 seats theater and show the sit layout map of the theater

Does your problem exist because you have not created a proper normalized design?

Do you have 1000 fields in the performance record?

Have you seen the other seating solutions, such as the ones from Seedcode or Chris Ippolite?

• 11. Re: IT is time to have a "Set Active Field =" selectable comandante
                            Extensitech

Oh, man, I didn't think of having a field for every seat! I cringe at the thought.

Chris Cain

Extensitech

• 13. Re: IT is time to have a "Set Active Field =" selectable comandante
                              BruceRobertson

Extensitech wrote:

Oh, man, I didn't think of having a field for every seat! I cringe at the thought.

Chris Cain

Extensitech

I would cringe at that as well; but if that's the setup, it could explain why Francisco sees this as a problem.

• 14. Re: IT is time to have a "Set Active Field =" selectable comandante
                                DavidJondreau

I think a repeating field for display would be an ok way to go. The data of which seat is occupied should be stored in separate records of course, but you can create the display with a repeater.

1 2 Previous Next