1 2 Previous Next 24 Replies Latest reply on Dec 22, 2016 3:53 AM by khalidothman

FileMaker Server 14.0v4 Breaks "Set Variable" for older FM versions

JEDtech

After updating the Mac OS X Server 10.10.5 version of FileMaker Server to 14.0v4 there was a problem when pre 14.0v4 versions of FileMaker Pro or Pro Advanced were running a script where a script invoked in another not-yet-open database would fail to set a value into a variable.

The database is hosted over a WAN connection.  There is a Menu database that is opened directly and its OnFirstWindowOpen script calls a script in another database to check if the AccountName of the user matches a record in that database.  The script in the other database goes to a layout and searches for the account and the sets a value into a local variable and returns that variable to the calling script.  If the variable is empty the user is denied.

The script runs and the user record is found and the value is placed into the variable $ListingName but that variable does not get the value.  I verified this by doing a Show Custom Dialog with the found count (1), the value of the field and the value of the variable which is empty.  See attached screen-shots.

• 1. Re: FileMaker Server 14.0v4 Breaks "Set Variable" for older FM versions
          TSGal

JEDtech:

Thank you for your post.

I am unable to replicate this issue, even with files created prior to FileMaker Pro 14.0.4 and now hosted on FileMaker Server 14.0.4 on a Mac OS X 10.10.5 machine.  The contents of the variable always appear.

Since this is happening to you, I would like to get a copy/clone of your two files (menu and account names) so that I can test it here.  I have sent you a private message with instructions where to send the files.

TSGal

FileMaker, Inc.

• 2. Re: FileMaker Server 14.0v4 Breaks "Set Variable" for older FM versions
            TSGal

JEDtech:

I received your files and instructions.  Thank you.

My apologies.  I (incorrectly) understood the issue involved files created prior to FileMaker Pro 14.0.4; not using FileMaker Pro 14.0.3 and earlier to access hosted files.

Since this issue does not occur with FileMaker Pro 14.0.4, Development and Testing recommends updating all FileMaker Pro clients to FileMaker Pro 14.0.4.

TSGal

FileMaker, Inc.

1 of 1 people found this helpful
            • 3. Re: FileMaker Server 14.0v4 Breaks "Set Variable" for older FM versions
              JEDtech

I believe this is a very short-sighted approach to this issue.  FileMaker has previously stated that it was OK to use FileMaker Server 14 with older versions of FileMaker Pro.  We have some clients who CAN NOT upgrade to FileMaker Pro 14 due to platform restrictions.  Also many of our clients are responsible for their own updates (as was the one that brought this to our attention) and can't be relied upon for prompt updates.  This means that we CAN NOT upgrade their FileMaker Servers until all users have upgraded to FileMaker Pro 14.0.4.  If this is the solution to this problem then the FileMaker Server 14.0.4 update instructions need to state that 1) All users must update to FileMaker Pro 14.0.4 before installing this update and 2) FileMaker Server 14.0.4 does not support clients below FileMaker Pro 14.0.4.

• 4. Re: FileMaker Server 14.0v4 Breaks "Set Variable" for older FM versions
                TSGal

JEDtech:

I've sent your comments back to Development and Testing for review.  When I receive any feedback, I will let you know.

TSGal

FileMaker, Inc.

• 5. Re: FileMaker Server 14.0v4 Breaks "Set Variable" for older FM versions
                  TSGal

JEDtech:

One of our testers was able to reproduce the issue, as it appears to be a timing issue.  This information has been sent to Development for review.

One workaround is to insert the following script steps after Set Variable [$ListingName ; Value: Users::ListingName]

If IsEmpty( $ListingName )

Refresh Window [ Flush cache ]

Set Variable [ $ListingName;  Value:Users::ListingName ]

End if

-----

The tester also had success by just repeating the Set Variable script step.

Another option was to place a Pause between the Find and Set Variable steps.

TSGal

FileMaker, Inc.

• 6. Re: FileMaker Server 14.0v4 Breaks "Set Variable" for older FM versions
                    JEDtech

Thanks for the information and I hope they can issue an update that fixes it.  We have already worked around it for this client by ensuring that they are all on Pro 14.0.4 but we don't have that option for many of our other clients.  It was fortunate that this solution failed in an obvious way that allowed us to isolate the problem but knowing that a problem like this exists in this release has caused us to stop updating our other FileMaker servers beyond 14.0.3 until there is a server solution.

• 7. Re: FileMaker Server 14.0v4 Breaks "Set Variable" for older FM versions
                      AndreasT

Thank you so much for identifying this issue, JEDtech!

I have spent the better part of today trying to figure out what was going on with my login script. My issue was further complicated by having conditionals based on user group so it only affected some users and I couldn't find the common denominator. I was considering database corruption.

Only one of several variable settings apparently failed, the same setting for the other user groups in the same script worked. As these were dependent on relations to other internal tables, I can now only conclude that one relationship is slower to resolve than the others, even though they are based on the exact same corresponding fields.

Further confusing things was the fact that if I logged in as another user, thus running a different variable setting, I could subsequently log in on the same device as the problematic users without problem for a short while. Then it would suddenly fail again.

I tried downgrading to server version 14.0.3, but that is not possible because the installer cannot recognize the presence of the newer version of ARR from 14.0.4 and refuses to install.

When I found this post I was about to wipe the machine, so I am very grateful.

I agree that this is a really serious issue and it is VERY hard to identify. We have lots of clients on version 13 still and some are on earlier versions of version 14. Many are out in the field and have no real possibility to do any upgrading on the fly. I had 4 clients that had a service breakdown today because of this issue after I updated the server to 14.0.4 during the weekend. They were on versions 13.0.9 to 14.0.3 on various platforms.

I have fixed the login script where this occurred with the proposed method and my clients can now log in, but it is clearly a hack and it MUST be properly fixed in the next update. I am sure this will popup elsewhere in the systems in the coming days as variables are used everywhere. I imagine this issue can result in data loss and have serious consequences for many users, maybe without being noticed until further down the road.

I have included a screenshot of the relevant part of my login script. Only the users belonging to the privilege set  "Anlegg" were affected. It returned an empty result, resulting in the user not being allowed access.

Skjermbilde 2015-12-15 kl. 05.34.08.png

• 8. Re: FileMaker Server 14.0v4 Breaks "Set Variable" for older FM versions
                        TSGal

AndreasT:

Thank you for your post.

I have also attached your post to the original report.  When more information becomes available, I will post again.

TSGal

FileMaker, Inc.

• 9. Re: FileMaker Server 14.0v4 Breaks "Set Variable" for older FM versions
                          TSGal

AndreasT:

Testing has confirmed your issue is the same as "JEDtech".

TSGal

FileMaker, Inc.

• 10. Re: FileMaker Server 14.0v4 Breaks "Set Variable" for older FM versions
                            mtolman

We have run into this exact same issue with FileMaker 14 (latest version) on the server and a FileMaker 13 client.   With a FM14 client the issue goes away.  Setting the variable twice in the script fixed the issue in the script where it is readily apparent.   We are also noticing this is happening on server side scripted routines as well.

• 11. Re: FileMaker Server 14.0v4 Breaks "Set Variable" for older FM versions
                              TSGal

mtolman:

Thank you for your post.

I have also attached your comments to the original report.

TSGal

FileMaker, Inc.

• 12. Re: FileMaker Server 14.0v4 Breaks "Set Variable" for older FM versions
                                JEDtech

Has this been fixed with FileMaker Server 15?

• 13. Re: FileMaker Server 14.0v4 Breaks "Set Variable" for older FM versions
                                  TSGal

JEDtech (et al):

This issue has been addressed in FileMaker Server 15.

TSGal

FileMaker, Inc.

• 14. Re: FileMaker Server 14.0v4 Breaks "Set Variable" for older FM versions
                                    AndreasT

TSGal.

I appreciate that it has been fixed in v15, but it really needs to be fixed in 14 also. FMI can not expect customers to have to pay for an upgrade to fix a bug of this magnitude.

This bug causes script logic to fail and can potentially result in data loss.

A.

1 2 Previous Next