use the homeurl parameter in your webdirect URL and it will redirect to that URL when you logoff. Here's an explanation on that:
As for that error, I haven't seen it, but I've seen other VAADIN related errors go away by making sure you have the latest version/update installed, and also by restarting WPE via command line (fmsadmin restart wpe)
I have the same issue and still can't find anything more than this page about it.
It seems to happen intermittently and more on safari than chrome.
Doesn't seem to stop anything working though.
Same problem with FMP 15. Intermittent error message for unknown reason.
Same problem with FileMaker Server 15.
It has been from today.
4 of 4 people found this helpful
I tried to delete Browser cache.
so it work fine now.
2 of 2 people found this helpful
Worked for me also.
1 of 1 people found this helpful
Clearing the Safari History did it for me, thanks
2 of 2 people found this helpful
I'm seeing the same behavior with Safari. Clearing the Safari cache clears the problem, but it returns again. I am using Filemaker Server 188.8.131.52 and developing FMPA 184.108.40.206. When I get the error message I do lose functionality like tabbing to the next field. When I clear the cache and restart the web direct app, it works fine.
I knew that this flaw was looking like a bog. Should be passed to the right discussion group for this.
Can you use safari’s developer’s tools to see any errors when this happens? I have been helping filemaker support track this issue and that would help. Here’s the instructions they gave me for chrome:
"Open Chrome > Open WebDirect in Chrome > If issue happens (While it is happening) > Open Tools > More tools > Developer tools and look for errors."
I used Safari (as that is where I am getting the error) Check the Error console and this came up:
Failed to load resource: the server responded with a status of 410 (Gone)
also some [Warning] Unexpected CSS token: warnings but I guess they are not impacting.
Safari: 10.0 (though happened on earlier versions)
FileMaker Server Version: 220.127.116.114 (we were using 15 but had to roll back to 14 due to an internal issue unrelated to this one)
3 of 4 people found this helpful
Here is what we know…
Users report that clearing the cache/history/website data for the affected domain resolves the issue — if only temporarily via these options:
- Safari (Menu) » Clear History…
- Safari (Menu) » Preferences » Privacy » Manage Website Data… » (removing only selected [FM site domain] with the 'Remove' button, or removing all website data with the 'Remove All' button).
This shows that it can be corrected client-side, but the root cause may be server-side, such as:
- Server is a virtual machine that has been 'Paused" and 'Resumed"
- Server is not set to prevent 'System Sleep'
• (Apple menu) » System Preferences… » Energy Saver » Computer Sleep » slider set to 'Never'
- Server is not set to prevent 'Disk Sleep'
• (Apple menu) » System Preferences… » Energy Saver » 'Put hard disks to sleep when possible' checkbox (not enabled/unchecked)
In my case, I have experienced this when the virtual machine is interrupted ('Paused', 'Restarted', etc.). I'd suggest reviewing Energy saver settings to ensure the only thing that 'sleeps' is the display itself, and report your findings here.
- - Mr. Scott
As I seem to recall, this condition occurred when I did a 'refresh' after the default time-out error message of the time-out occurred. Though I cannot be certain, I will be looking for this condition going forward.
This could mean that some value like a 'session_id' is not being purged by a normal page refresh due to it being a 'relationship' value. Or, maybe there's a GLOBAL value not being purged/refreshed, but I think it is within the WebDirect code for the session, since it can be corrected on the client side.
I head the same issue. I fond the problem was the script did not get the right response from the email provider.
1. check if your email system works correctly including password and functional email ID are correct.
2. login manually to the email you are using to check if your email setup is correct.
3. try fastmail. I was using MS365 and head lots of mysterious issues.
Fastmail worked good and my issue was resolved
I just ran into this error in the past day or two. It only shows up when using Safari - if I use Firefox (I know, not approved) the error doesn't come up.
In our case it doesn't prevent anything from happening. The error crops up upon login: the user is given a URL to click to access a very limited workflow through Web Direct (1 layout). The error shows up when the first launch the URL, but then the rest of it loads up and takes the user to the proper layout. So it just looks ugly at the initial stage - not very professional.
I will try clearing the cache and see how it goes.