3 Replies Latest reply on Nov 21, 2015 9:42 AM by siplus

Limiting the x-axis tick marks

jasheldo

I'm creating a print layout on the Mac.  This print layout has exactly one item on it:  a line chart.

I have 10,011 lines of data spanning the date range 1/1/2011 - 7/1/2015. What I've done is created a summary field which counts the total number of records in each month/year and plots that count.  Everything is spiffy except the x-axis is a clustered mess.  Here it is in its glory.

Screen Shot 2015-11-20 at 8.32.24 PM.png

I've followed the tutorials on Bluefeather (http://bluefeathergroup.com/blog/fixed-number-of-x-axis-labels-in-a-chart-for-any-number-of-records/) and http://www.filemakerprogurus.com/filemaker-charts-limiting-x-axis-values/ and what I get is only the last month to appear (7/1/2015).

Any thoughts on how to make the x-axis tick marks look more appealing?

• 1. Re: Limiting the x-axis tick marks
          siplus

FREE:

Easy: draw the x-axis values vertical and use a smaller font.

Complex: build a repeating field in which you only put every third value, rotate it, place it over the ugly x-axis values, covering them.

NOT FREE:

Use a plugin like xmChart.

• 2. Re: Limiting the x-axis tick marks
            jasheldo

Hi siplus.  Thank you for the reply.  It definitely works and I'll accept it as the solution for the time being but it'd be lovely if there was a way to show, say, every third tick mark to make the graph look more presentable.  Maybe FMP could build in some functionality at some point assuming I'm not the only one having this issue.

Thank you!

• 3. Re: Limiting the x-axis tick marks
              siplus

I agree completely with you. A "show every [ ] values on x-axis" is a must. I have plots of building sites where explosives are used and data showing the dB every millisecond or so, with the need of plotting a whole day of noise generated.

I also have sensors measuring the floor temp of a bridge which freezes often, having nozzles that must spray saline solution when the temp falls below a specified value and the need to plot this over the day, data is sent to a ftp server and we download it and plot... but then, I try to never forget that FM Pro is a DBMS and special situations/solutions might need a plugin to enhance what is meant to cover a lot but not everything....