1 2 3 Previous Next 34 Replies Latest reply on Nov 22, 2015 3:10 AM by okramis

ExecuteSQL?????

weedonpaul

What is wrong with the following:

ExecuteSQL("SELECT publication_month FROM Coverage WHERE _kf_clients_id = ? AND publication_date >=? AND publication_date <=? GROUP BY publication_month";"";""; Coverage_Report::_kf_clients_id; Coverage_Report::start_date; Coverage_Report::end_date)

ExecuteSQL("SELECT SUM(count) FROM Coverage WHERE _kf_clients_id = ? AND publication_date >=? AND publication_date <=? GROUP BY publication_month";"";""; Coverage_Report::_kf_clients_id; Coverage_Report::start_date; Coverage_Report::end_date)

both of these send back a ?

the top one is to get x-axis tables in a bar graph

the bottom is to sum up a field called count that has the number 1 in it (there is a better way I know but I don't think thats the problem) to count the frequency of coverage in a month.

I should add that I pinched this code from an example that was kindly sent to me to solve another problem and I (hesitate to the use the word) tweaked it.

• 1. Re: ExecuteSQL?????
          Mike_Mitchell

You can't use leading underscores in table or field names in SQL. Your _kf ... syntax is breaking the query. You have two choices:

1) Use the Quote ( ) function or insert escaped quotes to tell the parser these are literals.

2) Change your field names to something compliant.

https://fmhelp.filemaker.com/docs/14/en/fm14_sql_reference.pdf

• 2. Re: ExecuteSQL?????
            okramis

What is wrong with the following:

ExecuteSQL("SELECT publication_month FROM Coverage WHERE _kf_clients_id = ? AND publication_date >=? AND publication_date <=? GROUP BY publication_month";"";""; Coverage_Report::_kf_clients_id; Coverage_Report::start_date; Coverage_Report::end_date)

You need to quote your fields starting with underline "_" like this: .....\"_kf_clients_id\" = ?....

and you're not doing any aggregation, so why the GROUP BY, did you mean ORDER BY?

ExecuteSQL("SELECT SUM(count) FROM Coverage WHERE _kf_clients_id = ? AND publication_date >=? AND publication_date <=? GROUP BY publication_month";"";""; Coverage_Report::_kf_clients_id; Coverage_Report::start_date; Coverage_Report::end_date)

Same here, _kf_clients_id needs to be quoted. Here I'd add the publication_month to the SELECT-statement, else you won't know to which months the results belong.

regards

Otmar

P.S. just saw, Mike was posting while I was still writing;-)

• 3. Re: ExecuteSQL?????
              Mike_Mitchell

Yeah, hate that ...  

• 4. Re: ExecuteSQL?????
                weedonpaul

ExecuteSQL("SELECT (publication_month) FROM (Coverage) WHERE (_kf_clients_id )= ? AND (publication_date) >=? AND (publication_date) <=? GROUP BY (publication_month)";"";""; (Coverage_Report::_kf_clients_id); (Coverage_Report::start_date); (Coverage_Report::end_date))

ExecuteSQL("SELECT SUM(count) FROM (Coverage) WHERE (_kf_clients_id) = ? AND (publication_date) >=? AND (publication_date) <=? GROUP BY (publication_month)";"";""; (Coverage_Report::_kf_clients_id); (Coverage_Report::start_date); (Coverage_Report::end_date))

It still didn't work I have put every reference to a field in ()

thank you for the resource i'm reading it now

• 5. Re: ExecuteSQL?????
                  Mike_Mitchell

No, you have to enclose the field name in QUOTES.

“SELECT publication_month FROM Coverage WHERE \”_kf_clients_id\” = ? … “

and so forth.

• 6. Re: ExecuteSQL?????
                    weedonpaul

Sorry I replied before seeing the added replies I'll have another play and get back

• 7. Re: ExecuteSQL?????
                      weedonpaul

ExecuteSQL(

"SELECT publication_month FROM Coverage WHERE \"_kf_clients_id \"= ? AND publication_date >=? AND publication_date <=? ORDER BY (publication_month)"

;"";""; Coverage_Report::_kf_clients_id; Coverage_Report::start_date; Coverage_Report::end_date)

Are my less than and more than signs are right? It's still not working

ExecuteSQL(

"SELECT COUNTpublication_month FROM Coverage_For_Report WHERE \"_kf_clients_id\" = ? AND publication_date >=? AND publication_date <=? GROUP BY publication_month"

;"";""; Coverage_Report::_kf_clients_id; Coverage_Report::start_date; Coverage_Report::end_date)

• 8. Re: ExecuteSQL?????
                        Mike_Mitchell

publication_date >=? AND publication_date <=?

This will only work if the publication_date is exactly equal to the start_date and the end_date. Is that what you wanted?

• 9. Re: ExecuteSQL?????
                          weedonpaul

I want publication date MoreThan or Equal to start date AND LessThan or Equal to end date

I have started to break it down to find out whats not working, see below. It worked fine until I add the underlined stuff

ExecuteSQL (

"SELECT count (*)

FROM coverage_For_Report

WHERE\"_kf_clients_id\"= ?"

;"";"";Coverage_Report::_kf_clients_id)

• 10. Re: ExecuteSQL?????
                            weedonpaul

Actually solved that one as I forgot space after WHERE

• 11. Re: ExecuteSQL?????
                              Mike_Mitchell

The table names don’t match. Is it Coverage_Report, or Coverage_For_Report?

This is why it’s a good idea to include the table names in your queries.

• 12. Re: ExecuteSQL?????
                                beverly

other advise on quoting the names of tables and/or field, good.

ExecuteSQL("SELECT publication_month FROM Coverage WHERE _kf_clients_id = ? AND publication_date >=? AND publication_date <=? GROUP BY publication_month";"";""; Coverage_Report::_kf_clients_id; Coverage_Report::start_date; Coverage_Report::end_date

what's wrong:

1. GROUP BY and no aggregate in the SELECT

2. underscore as first character in names (use quotes, as others have stated)

what's wrong (in addition to underscore starts names):

1. the field/column name 'count' is RESERVED WORD and must also be quoted:

SUM(\"count\")

2. you use the GROUP BY (because you have the aggregate SUM). However, you must list the field/column in your GROUP BY in your SELECT as well:

SELECT someField, SUM(anotherField)

FROM someTable

GROUP BY someField

so... the use of COUNT(*) is very bad, for example, when trying to GROUP BY, because every field in your table must be listed!!

beverly

• 13. Re: ExecuteSQL?????
                                  weedonpaul

I've got in a mess with table names

the table that the layout is based on is Coverage_Report

and its getting data from Coverage_For_Reports which is an occurrence of Coverage

I don't suppose I need that occurrence now I'm using (or should I say Trying to use)SQL

My test script works but only gives one value I thought the GROUP BY bit would list values for each group

I checked the data and there should be more than one group, also the value is consistent with it ignoring the (AND publication_date >= ? AND publication_date <= ?) bit which worked before I added GROUP BY?

Thank you so much for your time

ExecuteSQL (

"SELECT count (*)

FROM coverage_For_Report

WHERE \"_kf_clients_id\"= ? AND publication_date >= ? AND publication_date <= ?

GROUP BY publication_month"

;"";"";Coverage_Report::_kf_clients_id; Coverage_Report::start_date; Coverage_Report::end_date)

• 14. Re: ExecuteSQL?????
                                    Mike_Mitchell

No, you don’t need the additional TO in the query.

Mind Beverly’s advice. She is wise.

1 2 3 Previous Next