1 2 Previous Next 17 Replies Latest reply on Nov 25, 2015 7:11 AM by nicolai

Hi, I want to import some data from a excel .xlsx format

Sedik

Hi,

I have created a database on filemaker for my contacts which looks like the screenprint below. To be sure I have all the fields I took one contact which I exported in xlsx format. See attached screenprint kaunas.xlsx  I want to update the database and upload some information in the contacts with in the colom "Genre" Blues, when I import it, it does not work I was expecting to find in genre 3 Blues which he does not do

Any ideas? I need this because I need to update the contacts from another database and some are already in the filemaker under genre jazz or funk - groove - soul

Schermafbeelding 2015-11-24 om 17.12.14.pngSchermafbeelding 2015-11-24 om 17.14.56.png

• 1. Re: Hi, I want to import some data from a excel .xlsx format
          siplus

you can drag and drop an Excel file on the Filemaker icon. It will create a database file with row 1 as field names and the rest as records.

Then you can import that database into your actual database, matching field names.

• 3. Re: Hi, I want to import some data from a excel .xlsx format
            Sedik

does not work the result is the same he does not update with "blues" in genre 3.

As you can see on the 2nd screenprint, I added Blues in f16 (genre 3) and drag and dropped on Filemaker icon, it created a converted filemaker document which I imported into the database, but see the result hereunder, no Blues

Schermafbeelding 2015-11-24 om 18.48.44.pngSchermafbeelding 2015-11-24 om 18.49.03.png

• 4. Re: Hi, I want to import some data from a excel .xlsx format
              siplus

clickhere.jpg

when you create a filemaker table from an Excel file, you must specify that the first row is field names, not data.

What you got - looking at your picture - is anonymous fields names called f1 to fxx.

• 5. Re: Hi, I want to import some data from a excel .xlsx format
                nicolai

When you import your excel record back it has to match the record in FileMaker. Usualy it is done by Record Id, which I do not see in your Excel file.

But you problem is probably a different one. I think the entry "Blues" is missing from your drop-down list. If it is the case, you will need to add it to the drop-down and then you will see it.

• 6. Re: Hi, I want to import some data from a excel .xlsx format
                  siplus

actually you will see the value even if the dropdown list/popup menu does not contemplate it, after a correct import.

• 7. Re: Hi, I want to import some data from a excel .xlsx format
                    nicolai

Damn, that's right. Was I thinking about FileMaker 6 or something?

In this case - looking at the screenshot in Sedik 3rd post - it shows two different records. Check the phone number/ mobile number, town fields.

I think Sedik creates a new record by importing back instead of updating the existing one.

• 8. Re: Hi, I want to import some data from a excel .xlsx format
                      Sedik

I will try again tomorrow with your suggestions

Thanks a lot

Dirk

Op 24 nov. 2015 om 19:59 heeft nicolai <noreply@filemaker.com> het volgende geschreven:

reply from nicolai in Discussions - View the full discussion

Damn, that's right. Was I thinking about FileMaker 6 or something?

In this case - looking at the screenshot in Sedik 3rd post - it shows two different records. Check the phone number/ mobile number, town fields.

I think Sedik creates a new record by importing back instead of updating the existing one.

Reply to this message by replying to this email, or go to the message on FileMaker Community

Start a new discussion in Discussions by email or at FileMaker Community

Following Hi, I want to import some data from a excel .xlsx format in these streams: Inbox

Manage your email preferences

FileMaker Developer Conference 2016 • Las Vegas, Nevada • July 18-21 • www.filemaker.com/devcon

• 9. Re: Hi, I want to import some data from a excel .xlsx format
                        Sedik

Hi Nicolai,

I am using Filemaker Pro 14

I did exactly what was suggested and still I have no result. I actually had a mobile number in the mobile number field in Filemaker, but left it blank. When Import the info in the fields of Filemaker where overrun by the imported document (which I do not want because some contacts are updated and most up to date in Filemaker (so not the sheet i want to import)

What option should I use when I import, I want the fields that are in Filemaker not to be changed, only fields that were empty before or new contacts to be added.

The genre 3 is not updating and does not add "Blues",  although I went to the layout version and changed the layout field of genres to input allowed (screenprint) In genre I have all types of music and Blues is one of them

Schermafbeelding 2015-11-25 om 09.04.00.png

• 10. Re: Hi, I want to import some data from a excel .xlsx format
                          Stigge

just an ide. are any of the fields and calculation that you are trying to import ? or are they all allowed to type in free text in to ?

• 11. Re: Hi, I want to import some data from a excel .xlsx format
                            Sedik

no restrictiona added

Op 25 nov. 2015 om 11:10 heeft Stigge <noreply@filemaker.com> het volgende geschreven:

reply from Stigge in Discussions - View the full discussion

just an ide. are any of the fields and calculation that you are trying to import ? or are they all allowed to type in free text in to ?

Reply to this message by replying to this email, or go to the message on FileMaker Community

Start a new discussion in Discussions by email or at FileMaker Community

Following Hi, I want to import some data from a excel .xlsx format in these streams: Inbox

Manage your email preferences

FileMaker Developer Conference 2016 • Las Vegas, Nevada • July 18-21 • www.filemaker.com/devcon

• 12. Re: Hi, I want to import some data from a excel .xlsx format
                              Sedik

Hi

there are no calculations only text

I just did several test imports called test 1, test 2 and test 3

He does the import correctly, but only for the field called genre, he does not fill in the field next to genre 2 nor genre 3

See screenprints from what I imported and result in Filemaker

Schermafbeelding 2015-11-25 om 13.27.24.pngSchermafbeelding 2015-11-25 om 13.25.31.pngSchermafbeelding 2015-11-25 om 13.25.46.pngSchermafbeelding 2015-11-25 om 13.25.51.png

• 13. Re: Hi, I want to import some data from a excel .xlsx format
                                nicolai

Sedik

You have to make sure, you map your fields correctly and you do specify that the fields has to be updated. This are the options in the Import dialogue box. The other thing, you need to make sure the fields for genre 2 and 3 are not set accidentally to global.

Could you post the screenshot of you import dialogue box, fully setup before you hit the Import button?

• 14. Re: Hi, I want to import some data from a excel .xlsx format
                                  Sedik

Hi Nicolai,

you are wright, i checked again and for some reason the fields next to genre 2 and 3 were dis-activated (do not import),

maybe because I tried different settings. Although it is importing content in the fieldbox " Notities" and is adding a webpage which is not there...  Can you explain what the dfferent settings in screenprint 1 does?

First option is this if you want to import all new contacts? What is the rest for, what setting do I use to overwrite info that is in an existing field already and what if I do not want to override, do I choose this in the upper box do import and do not import?

Schermafbeelding 2015-11-25 om 13.50.00.png

Schermafbeelding 2015-11-25 om 13.58.51.png

1 2 Previous Next