AnsweredAssumed Answered

This should be a simple calculation....but?

Question asked by MacAddict4 on Nov 24, 2015
Latest reply on Dec 10, 2015 by IanRenwick

Included is a screen shot that should show what I am trying to do.........but for the life of me, I cannot get this configured correctly:

Sample_simple calculation.png

1.  As shown, I created a "Purchase Price" field, a "Tax" field, a "Shipping" field and finally a field titled, "TOTAL"

Although I managed to create a calculation that calculates sales Tax (but, for some reason it didn't include the currency symbol which I want it to show)  In this example the tax is calculated on 6.25% of the Purchase price ( Purchase price * .0625). The Shipping charge was entered manually.

So now my primary dilemma. I cannot (as you see in the example) figure out why (how) to create a summary total of the three charges. I keep getting an error message saying: "This field cannot be used here because it would cause a circular definition".   * I use the same "setup" in an Excel spreadsheet and it works fine so what I am doing wrong here?

If someone would be so kind as to enlighten me as to "exactly" how to rectify the foregoing issue then I have one more question. Can I (or how would I) configure my "Tax" field in such a manner that in the event the sale tax should vary and I would need to enter a different calculation percentage, in such a manner as to not affect ALL the tax percentages throughout my entire database?

I feel that if someone could assist me in just getting off dead zero with this issue, I would (hopefully) begin to understand the total concept and be able to move forward.

Thank you.

Outcomes