5 Replies Latest reply on Nov 30, 2015 1:53 PM by keywords

Mail merge and Labels

Kikiwolf

Hi,

I'm new to Filemaker Pro.

I am used to Excel and Word, but now I need to use Pages and File Maker Pro to create personalised letters, and labels.

And, quite embarrassing, I cannot find anywhere how to get started.

The only thing I find is the Automator, but I cannot find my way there.

Please help, I don't think it van be difficult, and I need to deliver the letters tomorrow.

Best regards Alexander 

• 1. Re: Mail merge and Labels
          mark_b

Hi Alexander,

Have you tried the Contacts started solution? (  File | New From Starter Solution ).  This would be where you would enter your data, or import from Excel.  Once you have the info in the database, you can create a new layout and choose Printer output.  This will allow you to set up mailing labels.  You would then create another new layout where you would type the content of the letter using the merge option to insert names etc into the body of the letter.  I hope this gets you started.

Cheers, Mark

• 2. Re: Mail merge and Labels
            steveromig

Hi,

I'm new to Filemaker Pro.

I am used to Excel and Word, but now I need to use Pages and File Maker Pro to create personalised letters, and labels.

And, quite embarrassing, I cannot find anywhere how to get started.

The only thing I find is the Automator, but I cannot find my way there.

Please help, I don't think it van be difficult, and I need to deliver the letters tomorrow.

Best regards Alexander 

You might want to post your Pages question to the Apple Community but I am pretty sure that Pages does not have "Mail Merge" functionality built in.  It is likely if this works that you will need some form of AppleScript or Automator assistance.

FileMaker data can be used as "Mail Merge" data but in the case of Pages, if it works, will require that you export your data into a non-FileMaker format as it is unlikely it will work natively within FileMaker Pro.  Although someone more experienced with AppleScript / Automator may say otherwise.

Steve Romig

FileMaker, Inc.

• 3. Re: Mail merge and Labels
              Kikiwolf

Hi Mark,

thanks for your quick response.

The thing is: I have my file ready with 1300 records, 25 fields. ready in Filemaker Pro.

I have my letter ready in Pages, with the labels in the letter like <<first_name>> etcetera .

I have found the label-making within Filemaker now, but how do I start the mail merge for the letter?

———————————————————————

best regards

Alexander de Wilde

• 4. Re: Mail merge and Labels
                Kikiwolf

I have created a new layout in filemaker, I copied it from the Pages-file.

of course it needed a little extra editing.

and then it works smoothly  !!!

Still, I'm really "shocked" that something like mail merge is not possible within Pages.

thanks for your replies.

• 5. Re: Mail merge and Labels
                  keywords

It is entirely possible, indeed desirable, to complete the whole process in FM. It is simpler than exporting data to other software; it retains within the database the content of all correspondence as well as record of when and to whom it was sent; it is easy to also produce PDF versions, for either electronic transmission or archive records or both. I produce all my business correspondence this way.