AnsweredAssumed Answered

To host or not to host

Question asked by peterskraban on Nov 27, 2015
Latest reply on Nov 27, 2015 by taylorsharpe

I am the single IT person for an organization with less then 20 staff. We're a security company that primarily installs CCTV, Door Access and Alarm systems.  My role in the organization is to consult, and sometimes turn the screws, on integrating what I would consider "legacy" security appliances, into an IP environment. Keeping in mind security, accessibility and reliability.

Our organization uses File Maker Pro v10.03 hosted by Triple8.net. We're only using the software for generating work orders and purchase orders. I've been considering moving the server in house and managing it myself but it would only be for the immediate benefit of saving a bit on our operational expenses.  I have a feeling in the long run it would cost the company more to have filemaker hosted in house because of the time it would take me to support it, and the hardware required to make it redundant. Used internally only FM is, what I would consider, business critical software.

Do you guys have any suggestions or preferences either way? What is your experience with hosted FM versus running a server in house?

Thanks in advance!

Outcomes